Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Acer Aspire One Resurrection  (Read 2373 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Acer Aspire One Resurrection
« on: September 27, 2020, 12:42:21 PM »

Having more time on my hands than normal with the ongoing Covid movement restrictions, looked out an old Acer Aspire One "Palmtop" PC which I had bought many years ago on a whim, the basic model with 160Gb HD, 500Mb RAM and native Win XP operating system, had seen very little usage and was in immaculate condition, the battery had survived and appeared to have retained full capacity.

Thought it a shame to dump the unit so decided to spend a modest amount to try and resurrect.
Existing RAM was 500Mb on motherboard, added a 1Gb DIMM, max. capacity, readily available @ £10.
Replaced HD with a WD 120Gb SSD @ £20.
Decided that the unit would certainly struggle with Win 10 and really wished to try Linux anyway, thought that "ubuntuMATE" would be the best compromise from the many distros available for a low spec system.

Quite pleased with the result, full startup takes approx. 60 secs and shutdown is less than 10 secs.
Although obviously not a "flying machine" all applications open and run usably and internet browsing via Firefox is acceptable, worth the £30 outlay and as a long term Windows user gives me the opportunity to play around with other Linux distros other than RPi Raspbian which has been the case to date.

Accessing the HD and RAM memory slot involves quite a major strip down of the unit but there are a number of excellent step by step videos on U-Tube for this specific model.

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Acer Aspire One Resurrection
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 05:12:27 PM »

Congratulations on a job well done. (The old black cat smiles at the end result.)  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Acer Aspire One Resurrection
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 05:40:24 PM »

Meant to mention in original post, I mistakenly got 2 RAM SODIMM's, did know that only one slot was available, order typo error, memory spec..

1Gb DDR2 PC2-5300 667 MHz 200-pin SODIMM

If anyone has a requirement, perhaps for a similar project, I'am willing to donate, free to a forum member !
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

anything