Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Malware?  (Read 7491 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Re: Malware?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2020, 09:47:14 AM »

I have removed Chrome now and only have Edge & Brave.

I'm using Brave as the default, and not had the dreaded pop-up yet. :fingers:
Not sure if it's my imagination, but it seems to be faster.
Is there a technical way to check the speed of browsers?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 11:57:18 AM by bob.gas »
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2020, 12:12:20 PM »

Well, that's interesting.

I just opened Edge and guess what?
Yes, the McAfee popped up again.
Still nothing on Brave yet though. :)
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2020, 11:04:07 AM »

Oh dear, it hasn't gone away completely.
It shows it's ugly head whilst first starting the PC from sleep.
It doesn't pop up frequently like before in the EDG browser. ::)

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2020, 08:31:22 PM »

Opera used to have a feature in its ad blocker to compare the speed of pages with and without ads. There were often big  differences.

If you want to measure speeds now you will need to use your browser's developer tools. Those will show in detail what content and ads are taking time but it leaves you to do the adding up.

One big advantage that Opera has is that ad blocking is built in and so it can outperform any extension. I have not been tempted to try Brave as I understand that it substitutes ads rather than completely blocking. I whitelist ads from Kitz and a few other sites.

watcher

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »

As this seems to be malware maybe you should consider using something like Malwarebytes. It has a free trial period during which you could scan and see what it finds, and also establish whether it can fix this issue permanently.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2020, 11:49:17 AM »

Ads are almost always the biggest page hog, web page loading speed is lightening with them disabled but I morally don't like doing that as if everyone did it we wouldn't HAVE websites to visit.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2020, 09:43:35 AM »

That's true.
One forum I visit regularly won't let me into some of it if I have a blocker.

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2020, 03:22:35 PM »

It's back again.
Brave didn't stop it afraid.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2020, 03:44:14 PM »

When you posted an image of the pop up it did not show the entire window, its not clear if this is displayed in a browser pop up or some other kind of pop up window can you post a whole screen image when it next happens so we can see how it appears. Hopefully there wont be anything private in the background  ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2020, 04:55:50 PM »

OK Stuart, thank you.
I'll try again when it shows it's ugly head.

pxr5

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2020, 09:34:17 AM »

The guys on this site will guide you through what to do regarding malware/viruses. I've not had the misfortune to actually use them, but I've read through a couple of caes in the past. Worth a shot:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-help/

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2020, 05:36:12 PM »

The guys on this site will guide you through what to do regarding malware/viruses. I've not had the misfortune to actually use them, but I've read through a couple of caes in the past. Worth a shot:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-help/

Thanks for the advice,
 I am actually in the middle of dealing with one of their gurus on this problem.
But because I'm pretty useless with the Tech side of PC's, I'm struggling. :blush:
He is very patient with me I must say.

If I manage to get it right, then I'll let you all know the outcome.

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2020, 05:42:20 PM »

I've just noticed that my bank offers Malwarebytes Premium for free. That is RBS but presumably applies to NatWest too, perhaps other banks offer similar.

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2020, 06:31:33 PM »

I have premium on a 14 day trial at the moment.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2020, 10:25:00 AM »

I've just noticed that my bank offers Malwarebytes Premium for free. That is RBS but presumably applies to NatWest too, perhaps other banks offer similar.

Free for both RBS and NatWest customers.

They give you a free license to use on up to 10 devices.

https://personal.natwest.com/personal/fraud-and-security/malwarebytes.html

https://personal.rbs.co.uk/personal/fraud-and-security/malwarebytes.html
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything