Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Malware?  (Read 7492 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Re: Malware?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 06:51:06 PM »

OK guys this is the naughty pop-up

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

watcher

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 09:27:12 PM »

In Edge try Settings->Privacy and Services->Clear Browsing Data->Choose what to clear, and select everything to be cleared. Note that this may involve the need to re-enter passwords and log back in for some sites, or reauthenticating things such as bank services. The other thing to look at is Settings->Site Permissions->Notifications and see what is in Blocked or Allowed.

The equivalent in Chrome is Settings->Privacy and Security->Clear browsing data->Advanced, and again select everything subject to the caution above. The other thing you could try in Chrome is Settings->Site Settings and go to the very bottom of the list to see what Pop-ups and redirects is set to. If it is not set to Blocked, try setting it to Blocked and/or if there are sites listed under Allowed that could be a source of the pop-up remove them. Also under Site Settings look at the Notifications item, there should be a Blocked and Allowed list. If McAfee is on the Allowed list then remove it. If there is nothing on the Allowed list add an entry to Blocked such as [*.]mcafee.com which would block any further notifications.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:48:10 PM by watcher »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 10:11:18 PM »

There are two spelling mistakes in that popup, which makes it very suspicious.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 10:34:04 PM »

There are two spelling mistakes in that popup, which makes it very suspicious.

Agreed. When one speed-reads it, the errors are not that obvious but knowing that there are spelling mistakes, a careful examination succeeds.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

digbey

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 11:26:45 AM »

I've found references to this popup on a couple of forums and both suggested the same solution. Here's a quote from one of them.

I went into my installed Apps and found something called "fa really simple syndication (rss)". Given the pop up said Fast App store at the bottom I figured it might be related. Uninstalled it and had no problems since. Just in case anyone else has the same problem.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/Potential-scam-from-alleged-McAffee-anti-virus-not-on/td-p/2028242/page/2

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 06:43:13 PM »

In Edge try Settings->Privacy and Services->Clear Browsing Data->Choose what to clear, and select everything to be cleared. Note that this may involve the need to re-enter passwords and log back in for some sites, or reauthenticating things such as bank services. The other thing to look at is Settings->Site Permissions->Notifications and see what is in Blocked or Allowed.

The equivalent in Chrome is Settings->Privacy and Security->Clear browsing data->Advanced, and again select everything subject to the caution above. The other thing you could try in Chrome is Settings->Site Settings and go to the very bottom of the list to see what Pop-ups and redirects is set to. If it is not set to Blocked, try setting it to Blocked and/or if there are sites listed under Allowed that could be a source of the pop-up remove them. Also under Site Settings look at the Notifications item, there should be a Blocked and Allowed list. If McAfee is on the Allowed list then remove it. If there is nothing on the Allowed list add an entry to Blocked such as [*.]mcafee.com which would block any further notifications.

Thank you for that.
I did do a reset on Edge that was recommended earlier.
But since then I have been unable to get all (100my tabs up from start.
I did got to settings and "on start up" etc, but only the start page.
I know you are all gonna say...... why so may tabs, use bookmarks  :blush:
but I just find it nice to be able to look through my favorite pages on my tabs, like reading a book lol.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 06:45:46 PM by bob.gas »
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2020, 06:02:37 PM »

Right guys. This is driving me mad.
Like I said in my last post...
since resetting Edge, I cannot get the tabs I "open from start" to stay put (open on wake up from sleep)
What has happened? :blush:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2020, 08:54:07 PM »

Right guys. This is driving me mad.
Like I said in my last post...
since resetting Edge, I cannot get the tabs I "open from start" to stay put (open on wake up from sleep)
What has happened? :blush:

Well your first mistake was that you used Edge.  :P
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2020, 08:27:34 AM »

really?
I thought it was supposed to be the Bees Knees.
I was using Chrome but had problems with it, so went to Edge.
What browser do you recommend then?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2020, 09:48:45 AM »

Well they all have their pros and cons... I run Linux so Edge is not an option  ;D Personally I would always prefer something other than Microsoft if I were to run Windows. I am currently testing Brave as a browser, based on Chromium and seems to be fast, my only reservation right now is that the Android version does not support extensions. I also use Chromium and Waterfox (both versions) but then I like playing ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2020, 10:14:10 AM »

Must admit to wanting to check out Linux a while ago, but being an old F*rt, I couldn't get my head around it.  :-[

I used F/Fox for years and did venture into waterfox. Wasn't there another something- fox as well?
But everywhere I looked Chrome was recommended, so went with that. Was great for some time, but then got some problems.
Hence with Edge now.
But as I can't get my tabs to open straight away, I'm back on Chrome and just hoping I don't get any probs again as re-installed.

What do you or anyone think about the Opera browser?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 11:00:41 AM »

I did try Opera some time ago but was not impressed at all, some versions (cant remember which) had some remote (off site) formatting which I did not like. Anyway never gone back to it. If you only need a PC browser then Brave seems quite good and it's based on Chromium which is the open source version of Chrome so should be somewhat familiar. Does have an Android version but as I mentioned it does not support (yet) extensions which the PC version does. It is supposed to be very secure as well.

As for Linux you could always download a ready built version to run from a USB stick so you can try it out without changing anything on your PC if/until you are happy and want to install it, if you do go that way get a version which has the KDE desktop as this is very similar to Windows in may ways. Years ago I converted my wife's laptop to Linux KDE and she really could not see anything significantly different from her Windows desktop. By the way if you do try this go for a stable and not rolling release sometimes called 'long term support' which does get updates but is not leading edge. Once such version is openSUSE Leap 15.2.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 11:42:47 AM »

Thanks again, Stuart.

I will download Brave.
And maybe take your advice on Linux, when time allows.

Cheers

Bob

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2020, 12:56:31 PM »

Have downloaded Brave.
Haven't looked through all of it just yet, but seems OK so far.
Managed to keep all my favourite tabs on start-up :)
Wonder if I'll get the McAfee pop-up with it?

Will check it all out soon.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2020, 02:57:47 AM »

To be fair, I've used Edge a few times and it seems fine.  But personally I avoid all Chromium browsers for normal day to day use as they seem overly heavy.  Not that Firefox is perfect, but it seems to handle a bazillion tabs much better.

That said, I have Firefox, Chrome and Brave installed on Linux.  It doesn't hurt to have options.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4