Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC Speed and DLM Issues  (Read 932 times)

art37

FTTC Speed and DLM Issues
« on: August 22, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »

For 18 months, my FTTC line  (AAISP with copper pair) was very stable resulting in sync speeds in the range 80 to 76M. Over the past 6 months, my sync speed has fallen to 54.4M with interleaving; 0.2M above the handback figure. I had G.INP for a few days but this has now disappeared.

I am impressed with AAISP and I would be very reluctant to leave them. If all their efforts come to nought, would a switch to a SOGEA FTTC ISP result in a cheap 'lift and switch' to new ports within the DSLAM or is my existing copper pair effectively a SOGEA connection?

mofa2020

• Reg Member
Re: FTTC Speed and DLM Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 01:01:55 PM »

Can you post full line stats?

art37

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 01:28:20 PM »

Sadly, I can't at the moment as my router is connected to a test modem. Typical stats last week were:

Current Throughput 53.8D and 18.5U

G.INP OFF

INP   3D  0U

SNR  6  6

Line Attenuation 16D  21U

Line Length 371 Metres

The impacted handback threshold is 53.2.

As I write. AAISP have just advised that they intend to see what moving me from TT to BT backhaul does. They think that they may have identified a TT backhaul issue but TT is not playing ball.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 02:21:35 PM »

Any migration will keep the same DSLAM port.

Even when ceasing the line they leave it connected to the same port on the DSLAM so that if you reorder your connection could be reactivated remotely.

Only when that port is needed for another end user will Openreach disconnect your line from it.
So if your cabinet doesn't reach its current capacity then you would effectively remain connected to that port indefinitely.

A switch to ADSL would see your line disconnected from the DSLAM port.

Ordering a 2nd line and then cancelling the 1st would get a new port.

SOGEA by itself offers zero improvement on the DSL side.
The line is still physically connected to the copper E-Side running to the exchange. This goes for all lines.
This is to allow the ISP to run copper line tests from the exchange equipment.
As voice frequencies are outside of the frequencies used by VDSL they don't interfere anyway.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 02:01:48 AM »

With a 6dB SNRm, its unlikely anything can be done to improve the situation,  You've probably just become a victim of crosstalk like a lot of us have.

I used to have 100Mbit on Digital Region with an attainable in excess of 130Mbit, then once on BTW with Zen 80Mbit, then down to 66Mbit, thanks to crosstalk.

My line is shorter than yours with Line Attenuation 13.2dB down and 16.3dB up.   I can't see how backhaul has anything to do with your problem, that would be if you were getting much slower throughput compared to your sync rate.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

art37

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 08:49:47 PM »

Thanks all. I am clutching at straws. The problem is that interleaving has become the norm in the past few months.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 09:25:05 PM »

The only other thing would be to check the voice line for any noise.  If you're lucky, maybe there is an actual line fault.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

art37

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 03:44:04 PM »

Is a quiet line test still valid on a copper pair rather than a phone line? I know that AAISP allocate a notional telephone number to the line to discourage engineers from using what they think are an unused pair.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 03:57:44 PM »

Obviously you need to be able to originate a call to publicly accessible test head (17070 or 020 8759 9036). Then if the equipment responds, to the request to perform the test, the result will be valid.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.