Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Question about FTTP ONT and other EU hardware  (Read 3170 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Question about FTTP ONT and other EU hardware
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 06:16:40 PM »

Ah. I have learned something that I was completely ignorant of.

And is the section from CSP to ONT OR’s responsibility?

I shall of course most likely be pushing up the daisies long before we ever get FTTx here, let alone FTTP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 07:42:56 PM »

And is the section from CSP to ONT OR’s responsibility?

Yes. Everything up to and including the ONT is Openreach's responsibility.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 04:49:30 AM »

I did not know about the splicing. Why is this done? That is rather than carrying the fibre straight on through to the ONT ?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 10:32:51 AM »

Reliability issues with field-fit connectors on the splice-free installs apparently.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 12:31:12 PM »

As my underground BT feed comes inside now, I am hoping to have the fibre strait into the ONT with a plug (dodgy plugs or not), the contractors installing the fibre have supplied me with my own 4 port CBT :) in our manhole next to the other end of our BT copper feed.

@ Weaver have you thought about getting FTTPoD  or FoD (Fibre To The Premises on Demand) ?

BT Exchange:    Broadford    Exchange Code:    NSBFD has FoD

Join this forum and ask about it there

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre.html

Some have experience of doing it.

FTTPoD is expensive !, but if Janet can get a large enough group of neighbours interested then you can bring the price down, think it's called a 'community FTTPoD fibre project'.
You can ask for a 'Desktop quote' or guesstimate but you have to pay £250 for a proper survey and a final price, which would be a lot of £'s, at least you and your neighbours would all get 330/30 connections. 
Also add the Vouchers from the Scottish government scheme to bring the price down a lot.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:23:40 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 01:31:13 PM »

You need to be connected to a PCP with an FTTC cabinet to place an FTTPoD order.

I believe Weaver has EO lines.

He's also very attached to AAISP who don't seem to like FTTPoD very much.

RevK mentioned on his blog a couple of years ago that they might process an order if a customer insisted but he didn't like the product.

I've read a couple threads on TBB though where requests for an FTTPoD desktop quote were replied to with advising against it and trying sell other services instead.

Given the location I think Weaver could be in the 6 figure territory for FTTPoD anyway.

There's also the USO that can be applied for.
https://www.bt.com/broadband/USO
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 01:33:55 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2020, 01:45:05 PM »

I did not know about the splicing. Why is this done? That is rather than carrying the fibre straight on through to the ONT ?

As Carl says apparently issues with the field fit connectors.

The engineer doing my install hasn't had or heard of any issues with them though.
Every install in my street appears to being done with them.
Single cable, no CSP.

Using a CSP also means if there's a break in the fibre then they don't need to replace the entire drop cable.
They can just replace between DP to CSP or CSP to ONT.
It means more splicing would be required though so it's swings and roundabouts.

My current copper comes via underground duct to my external wall, up the wall then straight through to my living room.
My master socket is on the other side of the wall.

They fed my fibre cable up the exact same duct, through the same hole and it pops out the small notch at the bottom of my NTE5A master socket.
Very neat, though I've never seen it done like that before (coming out the bottom of the master socket).
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2020, 04:29:58 PM »

You need to be connected to a PCP with an FTTC cabinet to place an FTTPoD order.

I believe Weaver has EO lines.

We (that is Weaver and the grumpy, old, black cat) believe that at least one (if not all) of the four copper pairs serving "The Weaving Shed" now transit via an AIO cabinet, namely NSBFD_P10.

Some months ago CarlT made some enquiries via his contacts and the informal "quotation" was silly money sized. 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 04:53:53 PM »

I hate to think what the cost would be to run three or four miles of fibre from that cab.

I’m just trying to understand some of the practicalities in FTTP because I realised that I didn’t actually understand the details at all. So this is a self-education effort.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 05:29:20 PM »

The fibre would not come directly from that cabinet but from an aggregation node which supplies a number of cabinets, NSBFD_P10 being just one of the cluster.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 10:39:11 PM »

I hate to think what the cost would be to run three or four miles of fibre from that cab.

But like I said if you get your few neighbours interested and you all got the Scottish Vouchers like https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/#suppliers
then the price would come down.

I was reading on a 'Farming' website of a farmer wanting good BB he like you had very poor BB.
I think his first Quote was about £25000 he paid £250 for a survey then it came to £21500, he agreed to install all the ducting that BT supplied and put in a 'Draw rope' , he got other local neighbours interested and the final price he paid when he got his BB vouchers was £5500.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 10:58:01 PM »

But like I said if you get your few neighbours interested and you all got the Scottish Vouchers like https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/#suppliers
then the price would come down.

Even if every resident in Heasta  applied for and then pooled together all the "Scottish Vouchers" it wouldn't be much help.

Some months ago CarlT made some enquiries via his contacts and the informal "quotation" was silly money sized.

£1,000,000  > "silly money sized"  >  £900,000

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2020, 08:49:30 AM »

Hi

They fed my fibre cable up the exact same duct, through the same hole and it pops out the small notch at the bottom of my NTE5A master socket.
Very neat, though I've never seen it done like that before (coming out the bottom of the master socket).

Exactly the same here, the fibre comes up the same ducting, behind the same conduit outside, through the same hole that the telephone cable enters by so from the outside you can't see anything any different with no extra cables or boxes. 

The fibre then comes in behind the BT face-plate and out the top through a small notch they created around the edge.  The first attempt at creating the notch in the face-plate they broke it, so used a new one.

We also have the single run of fibre from the distribution point, but they only took minutes to pull it through so if it did need replacing I can't imagine it would take much longer than setting up the kit to splice in new fibre to an external box, the only negative is we'd have to be home to have it replaced, but as working from home anyway (the main reason we have speedy FTTP) that's not an issue.

I prefer the method of install we have as it has added nothing externally and no extra boxes outside the house to get tampered with or that end up weathering and looking tatty.

Regards

Phil

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:07:25 AM by PhilipD »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »

author=burakkucat link=topic=25050.msg421058#msg421058 date=1598479081

£1,000,000  > "silly money sized"  >  £900,000

:o very silly £'s
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:52:22 AM by tickmike »

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2020, 04:58:18 PM »

He's also very attached to AAISP who don't seem to like FTTPoD very much.
RevK mentioned on his blog a couple of years ago that they might process an order if a customer insisted but he didn't like the product.

A&A definitely do sell FoD but they don't actively advertise this anymore. I think they stopped advertising this just before the FoD stop-sell around 2016 when it wasn't unusual to see install times of 2+ years. But I imagine they won't be cheap (monthly costs), after all someone has to fund those luxury around-the-world cruises and top of the range Teslas  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3