Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SHINE on!  (Read 1876 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
SHINE on!
« on: September 22, 2020, 09:06:52 AM »

Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: SHINE on!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/09/18-months-of-village-broadband-disruption-traced-to-old-tv-set.html

They should have ask on this forum and it could have been fixed sooner, we might just know what 'SHINE' is .  :D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 10:00:02 PM »

I've heard the term SHINE before. But how does the interference actually get to the electric pulse inside the cables?

Over the years I've read posts on the forums about an electric item as gone weird and is causing a distrubance to peoples broadband connections. I know people suggest going around with a radio and listening out for a buzz.

How come there isn't cables to stop the interference? I can understand a device connected directly to the line, like a modem or modem/router sending interference down the line. But how does a tv not connected via a cable affect the broadband signal? How does it get to it? and isn't there a way to combat it?

I know this is probably a very basic answer to this. But its a question that popped in to my mind when reading the story.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 06:19:16 AM »

That faulty TV was emitting radio waves, and all cables act as aerials, and thus pick up those radio waves. Telephone lines were never designed for Broadband connections, and therefore didn't have any shielding built in.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 07:31:46 AM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/09/18-months-of-village-broadband-disruption-traced-to-old-tv-set.html

They should have ask on this forum and it could have been fixed sooner, we might just know what 'SHINE' is .  :D

I find it quite bizarre that DLM wouldn't keep records making it very clear it was SHINE and that they wouldn't check for that BEFORE spending money on new lines.  I guess its because line replacement is standard and getting people out with RF detectors is not, so more expensive?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 12:27:08 PM »

I find it quite bizarre that DLM wouldn't keep records making it very clear it was SHINE and that they wouldn't check for that BEFORE spending money on new lines.  I guess its because line replacement is standard and getting people out with RF detectors is not, so more expensive?

As always, with any situation .... you have to actually have been there to see the whole picture unfold.

I'm probably guessing that in the early stages of the fault-finding, various faulty lengths of cable were found and replaced as a result of our suite of tests we have to carry out. Raising a REIN/SHINE case shouldn't take place until the customers circuit passes all these tests.

Being a tiny, rural village in Wales, it wouldn't be surprising to hear that there were many minuscule length faults dotted about all over the place on a probable very lengthy run of cable ??.

Being a REIN engineer myself, I can tell you now SHINE is the one fault where you want to ring in sick, they are awful things to find. The DLM data may well have captured the snap-shot in time moment, but again ... if faulty cabling was initially thought to be the issue, it could quite easily have been dismissed as high frequency ingress due to the time of day, in that people start to get up and switch electrical items on ... in other words a surge of interference.

The worst one I had was a clocking in machine on a massive industrial estate that when switched on (circa 0550 each morning), it knocked out all other circuits in the area just for that one event. They were absolutely fine for the rest of the day.

As I say, 'we' can be very quick to judge based upon simply reading an article. Done it many times myself.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 02:52:38 PM »

I had a problem a few years ago and after many various checks by BTOR chaps could find no problems, I decided to do some investigations myself with my portable radio, finding there was a lot of interference the further I walked down our lane.
I reported this to BTOR and they sent a 'REIN engineer' who soon found it was a Faulty power supply for someones security cameras, they agreed to turn it off and my problem with ADSL2 went away (and others around parts of our village ).

This house is up a long drive and there phone line was long so acting as a large aerial sending the interference out.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 03:35:17 AM »

This doesnt really surprise me, the fault response is kind of dumbed down largely because of cost constraints imposed by ofcom, and also the enforced separation between openreach and consumer, which then means you have to traverse the CP triage system as well and hope they dont muddle the message by the time it gets to openreach, I can imagine all these fault reports were treated as individual faults instead as a collective until a very late stage.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 05:07:57 PM »

My thoughts exactly @Chrysalis, but then I'm a biased old God's Poor Orphan who left before BTOR was invented.   ;)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 05:24:12 PM »

I hear ya, guys .... and what Chrys said probably stood, for the most part of this story.

However, there is now available to all engineers, a very powerful tool called NATO that captures data from ALL ISP's circuit performance and is a massive help in trying to identify this kind of fault.