Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: This is apparently FTTC speeds  (Read 1091 times)

Ash

• Just arrived
This is apparently FTTC speeds
« on: August 17, 2020, 07:33:28 PM »

Hello Kitz Community,
I was kindly advised by a friend who had used this site in the past for guidance due to people's knowledge on broadband tech and the like.
I unfortunately aren't too well versed but have the basics down hence this post as I know this isn't very good at all.

I've been away for 8 months for family matters and finally returned home on Saturday. Things were slow when using the internet, gaming lag, web pages taking a long time to load, you probably get the idea.
I hop onto the BT router page (Smart Hub) and see this;
Data rate:
397 kbps / 1.64 Mbps

Maximum data rate:
1275 / 1580

Noise margin:
6 dB / 5.4 dB

Line attenuation:
12.5 dB

Signal attenuation:
24 dB / 12.5 dB

Pings range from 45-60 and over 150 if I download something. They used to be 14ms.

I would usually get a 62/20 connection.

I have done a simple reset and no difference. I listened on the land-line and I couldn't hear noise or what could be noise on the line but obviously something is amiss. An engineer is coming tomorrow so hopefully it'll be a simple enough fault to find. But I'm wondering what any of you guys think, I don't think I've seen an FTTC connection go this low before.
It makes you grateful for the things you do have sometimes and I do hope everyone is keeping safe during this year's events.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:00:54 PM by Ash »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: This is apparently FTTC speeds
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 07:47:41 PM »

The low line attenuation of 12.5dB suggests a fairly short line capable of a fairly high sync.
The 6dB noise margin suggests the line has no more sync to give in its current condition.

Something definitely gone horribly wrong with the line.

Hopefully such an impactful fault should be fairly obvious for the engineer to detect and locate.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ash

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 07:59:07 PM »

The low line attenuation of 12.5dB suggests a fairly short line capable of a fairly high sync.
The 6dB noise margin suggests the line has no more sync to give in its current condition.

Something definitely gone horribly wrong with the line.

Hopefully such an impactful fault should be fairly obvious for the engineer to detect and locate.

Hi j0hn!
Thanks for such a prompt reply. I'm hoping since it's definetly gone more than pear shaped it'll be easy to locate, according to the router it's been up for 8 days so it's stable but in it's current state it might as well be off it's painfully slow!
I don't know how or why it happened as I've been away for months but it's one of things that just happens I guess. I'll be interested in how the engineer will perceive it all as I've heard stories of great and not so great ones.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 09:59:56 PM »

When I first read through the details, I was going to suggest that one wire of the pair had become disconnected (a "one leg dis") but as the telephone is still working that suggestion would have to be discounted.

I will be interested to know what the engineer finds.

And while I think of it: "Welcome to the Kitz forum.:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ash

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 10:26:32 PM »

When I first read through the details, I was going to suggest that one wire of the pair had become disconnected (a "one leg dis") but as the telephone is still working that suggestion would have to be discounted.

I will be interested to know what the engineer finds.

And while I think of it: "Welcome to the Kitz forum.:)

Hi burakkucat!
Thank you for the welcome!
I wish there was no working phone line because then it would be apparent that's the issue. I can't hear any noise either but obviously something has happened when I was away.
According to BT when I phoned they could see an external fault and they activated the broadband backup thing so I have usable net at least until it's fixed. Sorry forgot to mention all this originally.
I'll update this thread when the engineer has been and hopefully solved the mystery.

Ash

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 04:10:46 PM »

So I had an engineer no show so that's wonderful. Apparently they've scheduled another visit for Thursday, I've found a Smart Hub 2 of all things in the cupboard, these are the stats;

Data rate:800 Kbps / 1.995 Mbps
Maximum data rate:18.060 Mbps / 21.395 Mbps
Noise margin:21.0 / 31.3
Line attenuation:10.4 / 13.8
Signal attenuation:10.1 / -56.7

Can anyone make heads or tails of this? It's all Egyptian to me.

EDIT;
They insisted I get another Smart Hub 2 in case both my Smart Hub and Smart Hub 2 are somehow faulty, if it's still the same the engineer remains for Thursday. Anyone want to bet everything goes to plan?
It's been a bit poo to put it politely not because of the impacted line but how BT have handled things so far, I understand they're covering all bases. But a no show and new router being sent when they acknowledged there is an external fault is run around material. Roll on Thursday.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 06:04:22 PM by Ash »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 06:25:15 PM »

Looks like the problem has cleared itself according to those stats (the higher noise margin) but your line is banded due to the previous issue so still stuck at the lower speed.

This could be frustrating as it may be an intermittent problem.

Is the latency still bad?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ash

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 06:47:02 PM »

Hey Alex!
I noticed the noise margin changed compared to the Smart Hub 1, perhaps the Smart Hub 1 went bad when I was away 8 months?  I noticed on the Signal Attenuation it says '-57.6' that looks off compared to everything else too.

When I was talking to them they could see something was 'off' or 'not right' hence they wanted to send out a new router which I don't think will make a difference. Then the arrangement for an engineer Thursday afternoon.
Apologies for the tangent to answer your question yes it's between 40-50ms, when I download a game or file it goes above 150ms.
I wish I was here to observe what happened because now I'm thinking my original Smart Hub was the issue and if that's the case then it's made everything a mess!

EDIT;
Another rummage further in my cupboard has graced me with a TP-Link TD-W9970 which is VDSL compatible. Is it worth a go? I seem to hoard things and forget about them.  :lol:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:38:09 PM by Ash »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 09:19:41 PM »

The attenuation is probably a rogue result, its not uncommon for modems to not report it correctly.

I'd also agree that it could be the Smart Hub 1 that was the fault.  It may be the line management will remove the banding over time if it sees everything is consistently okay again, or it may need your ISP to request a DLM reset, you can never be sure.  So at this point its probably just a waiting game.

Does make me think the engineer visit is possibly a bad idea right now, not sure if they will charge for it if everything is fine now. (apart from the banding)

Then again, you did say they identified an external fault, so maybe the stats improvement is a red herring and its just weather changes that has temporarily fixed it?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 09:24:14 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ash

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 09:44:42 PM »

When BT have remotely viewed my line they comment they can see something isn't right with it and identify it as an external fault. It's a strange result switching over from the Smart Hub to the Smart Hub 2 indicating it could've been the culprit for some time coupled with an external fault during or after that time.
It's difficult to pinpoint the exacts due to not being here for such a long, long time it's all basically guess work.

One thing I'm sure about is it must be serious enough where BT enabled the broadband backup - Unlimited data on mobiles and Mini Hub as it seems you have to meet a certain criteria before they activate it so food for thought.

anything