Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Housecall for Home Networks (port scanner)  (Read 3452 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Housecall for Home Networks (port scanner)
« on: August 10, 2020, 07:46:00 AM »

Hi everyone  :)

has anyone come across this router scanner that supposedly exposes problems?  Norton was all over it saying it was protecting from attacking  and I got the following and wondered others thoughts on the results and software?

cheers

Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Housecall for Home Networks (port scanner)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 09:26:31 AM »

I had a look at this and I don't like the way you have to agree to data collection and transmission which cannot be turned off. It just scans for devices which there are other free tools available and do not collect data. It seems to assume that because one device has port 22 open it must be a problem but this is on the private LAN and should be protected by a firewall anyway either on the router or another device on the LAN. Frankly it seems to me to be simply a way to collect potentially (their word) personal information. I'd be really worried if Shields UP! found any errors!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 11:07:33 AM »

I also like ShieldsUp! occasionally I go and test a few ports to make sure I havent opened anything up unnecessarily

I also like that it doesn't install anything on your computer

C

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 12:37:50 PM »

Meaningless. If someone is traversing your internal network so can see those open ports they're the least of your worries.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 08:51:21 AM »

well shields up which used to be all green (even on the zyxel) is now saying this:
Greetings!

Without your knowledge or explicit permission, the Windows networking technology which connects your computer to the Internet may be offering some or all of your computer's data to the entire world at this very moment!

advice please?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 09:30:05 AM »

That is a message on the Welcome page, it is NOT the result of a port scan which you must then do. Mine passed with flying colours. BTW I run Linux not Windows!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 10:40:40 PM »

In addition, that warning is a throwback to the dialup and early DSL/Cable days when people connected their PC directly to the Internet via a modem rather than a router which blocks that traffic.  Back when Windows didn't come with a firewall.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 02:34:19 AM »

What CarlT said. This appears to be a nonsensical idea. Clunkers recommended ShieldsUp!

Also take a look at this
    https://pentest-tools.com/network-vulnerability-scanning/network-security-scanner-online-openvas

You need to give it the (external, internet-facing) address for your router; ask for help if you don’t know how to find it. If you are using NAT then this will not be the same as the IP address of your own machine and it will not be 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.* or other RFC1918 blocks or private networks
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 02:50:33 AM by Weaver »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 11:22:31 AM »

yeah both passed thanks - so whats this Trend icro Housecall going on about >? can anybody explain that to a semi-noob?

anything