Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Need Help. Bridging Routers.  (Read 1043 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Need Help. Bridging Routers.
« on: August 09, 2020, 02:19:22 PM »

hi

so basically my LG B8 55" OLED has absolutely terrible Wi-Fi even at point blank range with nothing else on the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz channel being used I get a max of 5-10Mbps. checking online seem to point to this TV is having an absolutely terrible Wi-Fi and even the LAN is 100BASE meaning some 4K just cant be watched. but a lot better that what i get - some enthusiasts are getting 1GBIT LAN to USB 3.0 converter units to give them 250-300MBPS over the network (USB3.0 limit)

so i got sick of unplugging the LAN from the XBOX to the LG every night (gunna end up damaging the screen soon) and thought I would use one of my many routers and LAN cables and create a switch (BT Home Hub 5B with Wi-Fi off running on WAN from the LAN of ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A then running 3 LAN cables from the HH5B to PC, XBOX and TV
- after turning off Wi-Fi in the BT Home Hub I thought I would be ready to go... but having never done it before i find out i wasn't, its needs similar IP's or something??

i use 192.168.150.150 for the ZyXEL with a max of 20 connections ans IP's are automatically made static to device by the router - so TV is always 192168.150.160 etc etc

can anyone explain in layman terms what to do?
 I also have a Plusnet Hub One (BT Home Hub 5A - Lantiq chipset) - which is best to use - both ZyXEL n BTHH5B run on broadcom 63168 chipsets so would have been the best IMO -- i also read somewhere you can install OpenWRT on the BT HH5B and Hub one (BT HH5A)

if any can help theres a beer in it for them hehe

thanks guys and gals

EDIT: i should add i want the zyxell 8924 to remain as the modem, i just want a switch on the end of it
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 02:43:06 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: Need Help. Bridging Routers.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 08:58:32 PM »

I'm sorry I found your post a bit confusing, is it correct that you want to use one device as your modem in bridge mode (as many of us do with the VMG8924) and the other as a router? It is also possible to put the HomeHub in bridge mode according to bt website - so you it looks like you might be able to do it either way round.

[internet] ----->[modem]-------->[router]-------> TV / XBOX / PC

You then have to configure the device you choose as your router to connect to the WAN using PPPoE / PPPoA via the modem depending on what your ISP requires. The VMG8924 can do this, but I am not so sure about the HomeHub, you might need to google a bit.

Unless there are other reasons why you want to do it this way, honestly it might be easier to buy a powered Gb switch to share your network connection behind you TV, they are super cheap and require pretty much zero configuration.

No doubt other more expert networkers on here can offer advice, but thats the easiest and probably what I would do (i.e. buy the switch). Sorry if I haven't quite understood your question.

C
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:06:07 PM by Chunkers »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 09:11:25 PM »

well after struggling i found a way to cheat of sorts
 - I did not want the HHB'5B 'to be the modem as I got better result with the ZyXEL 8924 chipset 2 X 400Mhz CPU  / 128MB RAM/  64-128MB ROM ) so I used a double female module to extend one cable into a long one so i had 3 and got em all wired off one device (bonus)

Im thinking of upgrading to a newer more powerful Broadcom to compensate such as 128MB RAM and ROM and 1Gz+ ,multicore cpu

ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS?

ONLY MY MOBILE USE 5GHZ WIFI AND IM NOT BOTHERED WHICH DEVICE HOLDS WIRELESS DHCP
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:43:09 PM by snadge »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 09:42:59 PM »

When a brand new 5 port gigabit unmanaged switch is around £10, why don't you do that? No configuration, just plug it all in and it will work.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 09:48:55 PM »

whilst an excellent idea Ive managed a better way and looking for VDSL2 router upgrade suggestions from my 2 x 400Mhz /128MB RAM / 64-128MB ROM BCM63168 SoC to something more powerful like a 1.Ghz+ x 2 / 128MB+ RAM / 128MB+ ROM Broadcom 63168 or newer Soc based VDSL2 SMT Router

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 09:50:10 PM »

hi

so basically my LG B8 55" OLED has absolutely terrible Wi-Fi even at point blank range with nothing else on the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz channel being used I get a max of 5-10Mbps. checking online seem to point to this TV is having an absolutely terrible Wi-Fi and even the LAN is 100BASE meaning some 4K just cant be watched.

Typically the decoders in TVs aren't designed to handle high bitrate anyway, so Gigabit ethernet is pointless.

I don't use my C8 TV apps any more (except iPlayer sometimes as its in the 4K trial) as the ShieldTV 2019 and its 4K upscaling is night/day better in every way.  Its the only device I found that works reliably with 4K Bluray rips over Plex, although nothing beats my actual 4K Bluray player for picture quality (but its smart apps are pretty much unusable).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:55:15 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything