Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The iPlate  (Read 15202 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: The iPlate
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 11:58:04 AM »

>> from BT built to improve phone lines  Sad called the iPlate I know it sounds like a device

Theres been a little bit of  info on the main site about the iplate since January at the bottom of the low SNR page.

Theres also  more in depth info here too:-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 09:32:19 PM »

Removing the ring wire: Do I understand correctly that if I have installed an adsl filtered NTE5 faceplate (ADSLNation), I may disconnect the ring wire from pin 3 and the phones will still ring and furthermore, I will not then need an iPlate?
Windows XP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 10:55:12 PM »

If you have a filtered faceplate then there's nothing more to do - neither adding the iPlate nor disconnecting the ring wire will make any difference.
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 11:40:57 AM »

Just to clarifi

If theres an issue with the dsl signal the typical cause is the internal wiring. and the most common cause here is the bell wire.

The newer openreach logoed nte's have a small suppessor in the face plate for the bell wire

The I-plate is a retro fit plate which any end user can fit themselves IF the bellwire is causing a difference in performance then the same suppressor comes into effect due to the I-plate with an older nte.

If the other 2 wires are causing a performance issue then the full dsl-ssfp front plate can be used, this plate takes care of any issues with the bell wire and the other 2 wires. the I-plate wouldn't make any difference here.

Either front plate means with the bell wire connected your extention sockets will still ring, dissconecting the bell wire with one of these plates will make no difference to your dsl signal (except with the exception of a few phones, none will ring in an extention on an incomming call with tis wire disconnected)

"Do I need either type of front plate?" First have you any extentions comming from the master socket, if no the you don't need the plate.

Do you get a difference in performance by plugging your router/modem into the test socket in comparison to the extentions connected, then yes one of the plates may make a difference.

To find out which you need, disconnect any bell wires (in termination no.3) and try your broadband with the extentions connected. If the result is the same as the results in the test socket, you need the I-plate, if dissconnecting thebell wire only hasn't given the same result as in the test socket, you need the full dsl-ssfp

Either  plate you'lld want the bellwire connected

If you find you do get a satisfactory result by disconnecting the bell wire with the extentions connected then you can leave the bell wire disconnected before you get your hands on either plate, you'll still get the phones ringing in the extentions if you still have your microfilters plugged-in

;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 12:14:15 PM »

Ezzer comments touch on one concern I have about cutting the bellwire...

As I see it, it's 'my' wire on my side of the master skt, so I can cut it if I want.  I can't help thinking however that if BT Engineer is subsequently called out on some unrelated issue, he might be miffed - at least to the point of being a bit grumpy - when he finds the internal wiring's 'non-standard'?

Since explaining to a few (non-technical) neighbours how much benefit I saw from cutting my bell wire, they've been asking me to cut theirs too.  I tend to offer to cut the wire and see if it helps, but then  reconnect and, if it did any good, tell them to  buy an I-Plate.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »

Ezzer comments touch on one concern I have about cutting the bellwire...

As I see it, it's 'my' wire on my side of the master skt, so I can cut it if I want.  I can't help thinking however that if BT Engineer is subsequently called out on some unrelated issue, he might be miffed - at least to the point of being a bit grumpy - when he finds the internal wiring's 'non-standard'?

Since explaining to a few (non-technical) neighbours how much benefit I saw from cutting my bell wire, they've been asking me to cut theirs too.  I tend to offer to cut the wire and see if it helps, but then  reconnect and, if it did any good, tell them to  buy an I-Plate.

Your spot on with the face the bell wire as with all the wiring on the back of any faceplate is yours and yes if disconnecting the bell wire improves things then the I-plate should be fitted. also worth testing with and without the intenal wiring before and after disconnecting the bell wire as the bell wire may be none or part of the diference in performance, in which case go for the full dsl-ssfp front plate if your ok with your broadband only working from the master socket

As for getting miffed with non standard wiring, finding the bell wire dissconected is ok, finding the wiring has been terminated increadibly short so its a chore to reterminate the wiring back on the face plate or a combnation of all different coloured wires in all the terminations, or pet pee on the socket or drenched in the carpet around... that will miff an engineer

Ammit

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 12:14:58 PM »

I can entirely see how the i-plate can be useful and i'm right in thinking that if i customer has an internally filtered socket then an iplate is useless right?

I have fitted iplates to customers sockets and one of my own at home and I find them a very useful tool.  People who know what they are doing with their mastersockets may laugh and say it's a waste of money but for the standard user (ie - most of our customers) they avoid potential disasters with people clipping wires left right and centre without a clue.

They have their place basically and in some instances they may well make a big difference.  Just my two cents.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 12:46:51 PM »

if i customer has an internally filtered socket then an iplate is useless right?

If the user has a filtered master socket faceplate, then yes, the iPlate will make no difference. All the iPlate does is filter the ring wire, which is a good alternative to cutting the ring wire (and still allows the ring wire to perform its intended purpose). But a filtered faceplate already puts a filter between the ring wire and the ADSL connection, so the iPlate is superfluous.
  Eric

Ammit

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 12:48:39 PM »

:thumbs:

Thanks very much roseway, i thought as much but just had someone from an ISP tell me otherwise.  Neer mind. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 08:31:03 PM »

someone from an ISP tell me otherwise

That sometimes occurs if the ISP happens to sell the I-plates. :/

As roseway has said the i-plate just isolates the ring wire..  therefore if its already been removed, or isolated via an adsl filtered NTE5 then there isnt any point.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 01:30:53 PM »

I removed my ring wire the other day and my SNR went up a liitle.

All phones still work and I have no adsl filtered NTE5.

Mind you my line seemed OK anyway but on a fixed 2meg but as I may be changing to MAXdsl soon I thought I would see if the ring wire removal made any difference.

No those lines are the stats, can't get more stable than a straight line. :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:33:39 PM by BritBrat »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 01:35:57 PM »

>> can't get more stable than a straight line

looks good  :)
Although historically evenings are when SNRM fluctuates the most.
-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »

snr at 28db and it's a constant 28db looks very good, should stand you in very good sead for a max/rate adaptive service. Should nice and fast and reliable  ;D

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 01:45:34 PM »

>> can't get more stable than a straight line

looks good  :)
Although historically evenings are when SNRM fluctuates the most.

The SNR never changes by more than 2 any time of the day, the speed is always a straight line.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 01:47:48 PM »

I'm quite jealous of your line then!!
Chris
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything