Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach engineer left me with a hard coded target SNRM  (Read 619 times)

BrummyGit

• Just arrived
Openreach engineer left me with a hard coded target SNRM
« on: August 12, 2020, 06:12:50 PM »

Apologies, this is a long story but I would appreciate advice. I'm a Sky customer and have been having line issues since March this year which I think are finally fixed (instability and a marked reduction in speed). During this time Openreach have replaced the entire connection from my home to the cabinet on a piecemeal basis. First 3 different overhead spans, then finally building me a new underground route from the DP back to the cabinet (there were no viable pairs left that went all the way).

After each visit and repair they did a DLM reset which always resync'ed once it had been up an stable for 24-48 hours and gradually brought my speed up and my download margin to 3db within a week. Then another fault would develop a few weeks later (very old overhead cables it appears).

The penultimate visit was an engineer who didn't really do anything physical but instead told me that my noise margin was the issue at 3db (the fault was noise margin intermittently swinging wildly between +10 and -5 and a significant loss of sync speed) and said he was setting my noise margin at 6db which would solve the problem. He seemed to do this from his laptop in his van instantly. He then told me he was on holiday for a couple of weeks and gave me contact details for a different engineer if I had any more problems, before heading off into the sunset.

A few days later I was predictably still having issues so I called his colleague who built me a new underground route back to the cabinet which has been stable (although slower than pre-March when this all started, and slower than my neighbour fed by the same cabled up to our adjoining houses, but close enough). He requested a DLM reset when he was done but after a week I had seen no resyncs since the original DLM reset, and so called him to check about his colleague hard coding my margin. He told me a DLM reset would reset everything and requested another, asking me not to contact Sky as they try to avoid re-opening of closed Openreach tickets (I suspect they get a bonus on first time fixes or similar).

It is now another week since the second DLM reset and again there have been no resyncs and no change in speed. I called him again to check all was OK and he just wanted to fob me off trying to get me to say the speeds were fast enough and quizzing me as to what applications I run and why I needed more speed - this annoyed me as I want what I pay for and what my line is normally capable of, it's none of his business what applications I run on my connection and whether it's sufficient for me. The reality is that I have nowhere enough bandwidth and rely heavily on QoS to keep things sane in my household. Eventually he said he would speak to the original engineer once he returns from holiday (which could be a while as he went to Spain so will need to isolate on return). My speeds are currently right at the bottom of the BT Wholesale Range B (impacted) and below the Range A (clean) speeds - I have always been around the mid-point of Range A previously and my next door neighbour is also syncing at the mid-point of Range A (we share all but around 10 metres of the route in common cables).

I feel I have been fobbed off and would appreciate some advice on the following:
  • How can I tell if my line is classed as Clean or Impacted?
  • Is it correct that I should have seen at least 1 resync in the first week after a DLM reset?
  • What could the Openreach engineer have set on my line as I want DLM to optimise my connection as it should, because before all of these issues my line was running faster in both directions
  • Will Sky be able to reset what's needed or do I need to rely on the less than help Openreach engineers?

Unfortunately I am forced to use the Sky Hub which shows very little in the way of statistics as I'm on a SOGEA phone line so have no choice.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
Re: Openreach engineer left me with a hard coded target SNRM
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 08:24:44 PM »

Welcome to the forum  :)

I guess you are using Sky's router so not much line stats available?!

BrummyGit

• Just arrived
Re: Openreach engineer left me with a hard coded target SNRM
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 08:26:31 PM »

Yes, that's correct.

anything