Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Profile 35b Broadcom modem to bridge to an existing network  (Read 3830 times)

Prague

Profile 35b Broadcom modem to bridge to an existing network
« on: August 07, 2020, 09:21:23 AM »

We’re looking for a decent Broadcom-based modem with 35b supervectoring support to bridge to an existing small business network. Nowadays they all seem to offer routing and wireless both of which we don’t need.

An affordable 17a modem would suit our needs for now, but it will need 35b support once our cabinet gets upgraded.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
Re: Profile 35b Broadcom modem to bridge to an existing network
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 12:54:52 PM »

VMG3927-B50A or  XMG3927-B50A

But both offer routing/wireless...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 01:55:46 PM by hushcoden »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 05:51:02 PM »

We’re looking for a decent Broadcom-based modem with 35b supervectoring support . . .

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

Profile 35b is not used in the UK, so there may not be that many suggestions as to hardware which provide such support.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Prague

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 06:45:38 PM »

VMG3927-B50A or  XMG3927-B50A

But both offer routing/wireless...
Thanks very much. We can get the XMG3927-B50A for €110/£99 ex VAT here. It is a shame we would just be using it in bridge mode though. Looks like there aren’t many if any modern Broadcom-based DSL modems that act as a gateway and nothing else. We may just give it a go. Cheers!

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

Profile 35b is not used in the UK, so there may not be that many suggestions as to hardware which provide such support.
Cheers! Stumbled on Kitz whilst researching DSL. Very informative site. Got plenty of info which I couldn’t find anywhere else.

Out of curiosity, what is the max DSL downstream like in the UK? Is it 200Mbps bonded?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:31:25 AM by Prague »

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 07:52:03 PM »

Thanks very much. We can get the XMG3927-B50A for €110/£99 ex VAT here. It is a shame we would just be using it in bridge mode though. Looks like there aren’t many if any modern DSL modems that act as a gateway and nothing else. We may just give it a go. Cheers!
Cheers! Stumbled on Kitz whilst researching DSL. Very informative site. Got plenty of info which I couldn’t find anywhere else.

Out of curiosity, what is the max DSL downstream like in the UK? Is it 200Mbps bonded?

Yes except the Vigor 165 which is modern and 35b capable but uses Lantiq chipset not Broadcom but I just found this while typing,, it is a Zyxel 17a bonding and single 35b VDSL2 Modem Only so if you can find this product you will get what you actually need or you have to go with a modem/router Zyxel and use it just as a modem.

https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/VDSL2-17a-Bonding-and-35b-Single-Line-Bridge--VMG4005-B-Series/overview
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:12:32 PM by mofa2020 »

Prague

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 09:03:12 PM »

Yes except the Vigor 165 which is modern and 35b capable but uses Lantiq chipset not Broadcom but I just found this while typing,, it is a Zyxel 17a bonding and single 35b VDSL2 Modem Only so if you can find this product you will get what you actually need or you have to go with a modem/router Zyxel and use it just as a modem.

https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/VDSL2-17a-Bonding-and-35b-Single-Line-Bridge--VMG4005-B-Series/overview
Thanks so much for sharing that cute little Zyxel! That one just may be it. Waiting for our supplier to get back to us.

I’m aware of the Vigor 165, but it’s Lantiq-based as you said and people’s experiences with it are very much divided from what I’ve seen. They’re also rather pricey here.

As for UK 200Mbps bonded,, I did never hear about that in the forum but the maximum single VDSL2 plan is 80/20 Mbps yet for sure people who have more than one line can bond connections from their end using load balance capable modem/routers line Draytek 2862/2865 or Tp-link load balance only routers (for ex.) to aggregate the speeds into one pipe.
Wow, that doesn’t sound too great. I hope there are at least alternatives such as cable or maybe even FTTP?

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 10:22:21 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing that cute little Zyxel! That one just may be it. Waiting for our supplier to get back to us.

I’m aware of the Vigor 165, but it’s Lantiq-based as you said and people’s experiences with it are very much divided from what I’ve seen. They’re also rather pricey here.
Wow, that doesn’t sound too great. I hope there are at least alternatives such as cable or maybe even FTTP?

Sorry I had to delete my answer to your UK broadband speed question, since I am not from UK and probably will not have all the information about the broadband speeds there... it was partial information I knew from the forum.

Prague

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 10:32:36 AM »

Sorry I had to delete my answer to your UK broadband speed question, since I am not from UK and probably will not have all the information about the broadband speeds there... it was partial information I knew from the forum.
No worries ;)

flilot

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 06:56:55 PM »

I hope there are at least alternatives such as cable or maybe even FTTP?

There are.  Cable is available up to 1gbps in some areas from Virgin Media, and is expanding all the while.
Gigabit FTTP is available from various ISPs and CPs, through the incumbent Openreach network (network equipment dependent) and through various alt-nets such as CityFibre who are partnerning with VodaFone for consumer connections.
Carl

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 02:52:03 PM »

VDSL2 profile 17a is 80/20 maximum.

There is no VDSL2 profile 30a or 35b in the UK.

G.Fast is available at 330/50 maximum, but with limited coverage.

Cable is available to around half of the UK via DOCSIS 3.0 at over 500Mb but is being upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1 making over 1000Mb available.

FTTP (GPON) is available to around 3 million homes with 1000/115 being the highest common residential package.
Some ISP's are also selling 1000/220.

The UK also has quite a few smaller networks that provide FTTP.
Most of these also use GPON but some are point-to-point.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Prague

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 10:17:56 AM »

There are.  Cable is available up to 1gbps in some areas from Virgin Media, and is expanding all the while.
Gigabit FTTP is available from various ISPs and CPs, through the incumbent Openreach network (network equipment dependent) and through various alt-nets such as CityFibre who are partnerning with VodaFone for consumer connections.

VDSL2 profile 17a is 80/20 maximum.

There is no VDSL2 profile 30a or 35b in the UK.

G.Fast is available at 330/50 maximum, but with limited coverage.

Cable is available to around half of the UK via DOCSIS 3.0 at over 500Mb but is being upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1 making over 1000Mb available.

FTTP (GPON) is available to around 3 million homes with 1000/115 being the highest common residential package.
Some ISP's are also selling 1000/220.

The UK also has quite a few smaller networks that provide FTTP.
Most of these also use GPON but some are point-to-point.
Thanks so much for the insight. Exactly what I was curious about!

Prague

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 10:19:13 AM »

Our supplier got back to us this morning. The Zyxel VMG4005-B Series is available for about £70. It sounds ideal for our needs, but I’ve been unable to confirm whether it’s actually Broadcom-based; are all Zyxel products? I might ring them later. Many thanks!

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 12:31:40 PM »

Our supplier got back to us this morning. The Zyxel VMG4005-B Series is available for about £70. It sounds ideal for our needs, but I’ve been unable to confirm whether it’s actually Broadcom-based; are all Zyxel products? I might ring them later. Many thanks!
Are you able to share the contact details of your reseller?

The VMG4005-B is Broadcom and they also have a few MediaTek devices, i.e.VMG8623-T50A or VMG3927-T50K

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 11:03:25 PM »

. . . I’ve been unable to confirm whether it’s actually Broadcom-based; are all Zyxel products?

I downloaded the firmware images for both the VMG4005-B50A and the VMG4005-B60A. A comparison of the two binary files showed them to be identical.

A quick look at the contents of the binary file showed strong evidence of Broadcom --

Code: [Select]
[bcat ~]$ strings *.bin | grep -Ei 'broadcom|brcm'
brcm,bcm963138
&Broadcom BCM963138
brcm,bca-smp
brcm,nand-bcm63xx
brcm,brcmnand-v7.0
brcm,nandcs
brcm,bcm96xxx-wdt
brcm,bcm63xx-i2s
brcm,bcm63000-i2c
brcm,bcm63xx-sdhci
brcm,bcm63xx-pcm-audio
BRCMBooting from latest image (address 0x%8.8lx, flash offset 0x%8.8lx) ...
BRCM_EXTRA_KERN
brcm_cfever
brcm_nvram
BRCM21
Copyright (C) 2000-2015 Broadcom Corporation.
web info: Upload %lu bytes, Broadcom image format.
brcm_blparms
BRCM
!_wbrcm-base-files.control
F~brcm-base-files.list
brcm-userspace-pkg.control
Zqbrcm-userspace-pkg.list
brcm-base-files.control
brcm-base-files.list
brcm-userspace-pkg.control
brcm-userspace-pkg.list
brcM
[bcat ~]$

:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Prague

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 10:22:20 AM »

Are you able to share the contact details of your reseller?

The VMG4005-B is Broadcom and they also have a few MediaTek devices, i.e.VMG8623-T50A or VMG3927-T50K
I’d love to but it’s a local supplier. You would need a CRN, VAT number and address here.

I figured the B was for bonding :-\ Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2