Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router with good QoS  (Read 710 times)

buds

Router with good QoS
« on: August 06, 2020, 08:40:16 AM »

Following on from a post a few months ago, my experiment to downgrade to BT Fibre 1 my line has been rock solid and remained on fast path. It appears the line just can't handle the error rates at 66mbps but is fine at 56mbps.

Anyways a knock on of that is that the household is struggling with multiple streams and gaming etc at same time. My limited understanding of it all is that bufferbloat is spiking latency when connection is being used heavily. In terms of actual throughout it should be fine (maybe 4 HD streams at one time during worst periods) but kids and I have noticed latency will increase 4 or 5 fold and packet loss.

So my long winded question is, I need a router to sit behind the smart hub 2 with good QoS (fq_codel / cake)? This one has popped up in my twitter feed (big brother really is listening):

https://netduma.com/

By all accounts it is an OpenWRT derivative with their own software / skin over it. So what would people recommend? Ease of setup would help as I'm not an expert at all.

Thanks for anyone who read to the end! 😀

[Moderator edited to add the link to the earlier post.]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:23:01 PM by burakkucat »

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: Router with good QoS
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 03:40:01 PM »

Something like the Netgear XR700 would be an excellent choice, its based on the high end R9000 but runs Duma OS.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 10:06:14 PM »

Nothing is going to help you much given the congestion is downstream.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 11:19:47 PM »

It always amazed me that downstream QoS did anything at all, but I've seen first hand that it can make "some" difference.  I think mostly its about throttling TCP traffic so that UDP doesn't get dropped.  That and of course keeping upstream traffic slightly below line rate so that the modem buffer stays empty.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything