Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I have just got sky broadband and well happy  (Read 3492 times)

paul-49

I have just got sky broadband and well happy
« on: July 16, 2008, 07:52:51 AM »

Hi all, long time no see. hope everyone is ok  :)

I have just moved over to sky broadband, after being with BT for 5 years, this time around they would not do me a good deal(17.99 a month was the best they could offer) so got on the phone to sky, and got a good deal from them, got the max broadband which is "upto 16meg" and unlimited downloads and this was £10 a month, and as a sky customer already they knocked of £4 a month aswell, so works out at £6 a month

sky sent the router out and connection was so easy, just swapped the routers over and back on the internet, and the speed is so much better,
this is with BT

and this is with sky

nothing has changed, I just swapped the routers over, so just goes to show how much BT slow you down,

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: I have just got sky broadband and well happy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:05:57 AM »

>> nothing has changed, I just swapped the routers over, so just goes to show how much BT slow you down,

That's not entirely fair, you know. You're now on Sky LLU with ADSL2+, and that's why you're faster. ADSL2+ is available on an increasing number of BT exchanges too, and the service is available from the Entanet resellers; you would get the same sort of speeds with that service.
  Eric

paul-49

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »

That's not entirely fair, you know. You're now on Sky LLU with ADSL2+, and that's why you're faster. ADSL2+ is available on an increasing number of BT exchanges too, and the service is available from the Entanet resellers; you would get the same sort of speeds with that service.

fair comment, do you think its about time BT started giving people more speed, if say sky can do it, why not BT,

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 06:36:31 PM »

I don't know why BT Internet aren't offering ADSL2+, but as I said, BT Wholesale are making it available to ISPs who want to offer it, and the Entanet resellers are doing so.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 08:10:32 PM »

Hi Paul, long time no speak
Nice to see you still around and undoubtedly doing well.

I have read many good points relating to Sky.
I was thinking of changing to Sky myself, but due to the initial cost versus possible savings it does not look like it's going to happen. (As noted in my other post)

paul-49

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »

Hi oldfogy. I recomended a friend to sky, they did not have a telephone line, to put a line in would cost £125 which my friend paid and sky gave them the money back.they also now have sky bb, they got free sky box and just had to pay a £25 connection fee for broadband. worth looking into if it can save you money

I have worked out that I am saving over £200 a year just by moving from BT to sky

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:36:01 PM »

Maybe it's time I actually rang Sky instead of taking what I read on their site as being the only choice.
If I did change, at the moment I would be saving £14.50 pm for almost like-for-like, plus their FUP is not as bad as VMs.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:39:31 PM »

I don't mean to be argumentative (really!) but of course that saving with Sky only comes as part of a package deal with Sky Digital, and only applies to lines connected to exchanges with Sky LLU.
  Eric

paul-49

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 07:35:29 AM »

I don't mean to be argumentative (really!) but of course that saving with Sky only comes as part of a package deal with Sky Digital, and only applies to lines connected to exchanges with Sky LLU.

yes your are right, if my exchange was not set up with Sky LLU, I would have to pay £17 a month for sky bb and maybe not get the speed I am on now

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 09:51:15 AM »

Anyway, despite all that, I'm pleased you've found a better service. :)
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:27:23 AM »

I would like Sky but refuse to be told I have to have my phone line plugged into the sky box for 12 months. I can't get cable,can't get more than 1.5 MB via normal broadband  :'(. Might take OF's offer up of a lodger (at least he's got cable)  :D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »

>> I would like Sky but refuse to be told I have to have my phone line plugged into the sky box for 12 months
That's no different than a cable box being plugged in, they both need to "phone home" to get the latest service updates and there is no charge either.
My god, I just found something Virgin Media don't charge for. (now there's a first).

Something else I found out last night is that Virgin Media now charge a 7p connection charge on all calls.

anything