Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: WHOIS question  (Read 3443 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
WHOIS question
« on: August 03, 2020, 07:44:31 PM »

Take this example of the whois for one of my domain names. I wanted to find out who the registrar is, so I whois-ed it. But what I get is the following. I’ve never dealt with tucows and they are presumably the top-level registrar that some smaller agent uses for registrations. So that doesn’t help me in finding the ‘real’ registrar - the agent I did business directly with. The dns servers aren’t any help, they are AA’s and I changed the settings to point to the servers belonging to AA, who are providing dns service but not registering the domain.

So the question is, if you’ve forgotten the real agent, is there any way of finding out what it is? I suppose not. I’m having tremendous problems with my memory, as you know. And I’m trying to review what is registered with whom. I’m getting everything down to just two registrars : AA and dynadot.

It’s a shame that the whois info doesn’t give the agent as well as the top-level registrar. When I used UKServers (who is now no more) they used iirc Melbourne IT as their top-level registrar - or whatever the correct term is.

The following is a real entry for a domain of mine, with the domain name changed:

Domain Name: weavers-domain-name.COM
   Registry Domain ID: 20868424_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
   Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tucows.com
   Registrar URL: http://www.tucows.com
   Updated Date: 2020-08-02T21:22:02Z
   Creation Date: 2000-02-28T10:28:25Z
   Registry Expiry Date: 2021-02-28T10:28:25Z
   Registrar: Tucows Domains Inc.
   Registrar IANA ID: 69
   Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
   Registrar Abuse Contact Phone:
   Domain Status: ok https://icann.org/epp#ok
   Name Server: PRIMARY-DNS.CO.UK
   Name Server: SECONDARY-DNS.CO.UK
   DNSSEC: unsigned
   URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of whois database: 2020-08-03T18:32:02Z <<<
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 07:47:45 PM by Weaver »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: WHOIS question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 10:30:25 PM »

Hi

@weaver - your supplying company cannot be listed as the domain is registered into your name

This has nothing to do with gdpr or anything. It is a requirement of law to protect the owner of the domain

As you had the nameservers changed, you must know where you bought it from but if not, you did not use many so I’m guessing it would be either aa 123reg or ukservers or even dyn

As a last resort, you could contact tucows and ask, which they may forward your request to their reseller so they have the choice of answering or not

It’s a little like not knowing a .co.uk, and asking nominet, but having to prove your request to get around gdpr which we do sometimes for IPs (insolvency practitioners) and there is no guarantee of the information

Or check your spam or email logs to see if renewal notification has been received

As a company, we always attempt to contact the client by any means we have, but scaled to time limits so email first, text followed by phone attempt. If this fails, the domain would expire unless we know otherwise and would renew whilst contact was still be attempted.

However, the domain renewals are slightly dearer but we also are not receiving the same price blocks as bigger companies

So the savings are time and worries and not monetary even if the difference is a pound or so

If you are wondering if we do this, hopefully a member may post their experience of this

Many thanks

John