Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSL AC68U System Log question  (Read 1362 times)

Memetrader

• Just arrived
DSL AC68U System Log question
« on: August 03, 2020, 01:05:55 PM »

Hi - I posted this question on SNBForums and did not get any response (except from someone who was also interested in an answer!).

Would a kind expert please explain to a novice what this table is all about, how should I interpret it and what values should I expect to see? Thank you.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: DSL AC68U System Log question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 01:32:39 PM »

Unplug, say goodbye, and recycle that piece of junk.

It's unfit to be a doorstop.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 01:36:13 PM »

Unplug, say goodbye, and recycle that piece of junk.

It's unfit to be a doorstop.

No need to go to that extreme - i'd convert it to a router only model (i.e. effectively making it a AC68U) and use a decent modem with it. It is only the modem side of it that is complete junk

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 02:16:41 PM »

These are basically the upload and download bands "I guess" but what to expect depends on many factors like how long your line, type of line metallic path (Copper or Aluminium), etc...

I remember the AC68U uses a mediatek chipset which is somehow not doing well currently in UK and OR dropped it is compatibility from their list (as I can remember due to G.inp issues), if you have a problem on the service you may explain it and the rest of the line stats would be helpful also.

Memetrader

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 02:32:16 PM »

if you have a problem on the service you may explain it and the rest of the line stats would be helpful also.

No there is no problem and it is working better that the ISP supplied modem.

I am just curious....

Anybody able to answer the question?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 06:05:50 PM »

@Memetrader  I think mofa2020 has answered your question. The values are the Attenuation and Signal to Noise Ratio margins for the various Upstream and Downstream frequency bands. The SNRM values are around 6dB which is the usual default value unless G.Inp is active which your modem cannot do. There are no expected attenuation figures as every line is different, the D1 band is quite low so you should be getting pretty good speeds.

The ISP modem must be very bad if the Asus is better, I am sure you would get better performance with a modem using a Broadcom chipset.

Memetrader

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 06:22:25 PM »

@Memetrader  I think mofa2020 has answered your question. The values are the Attenuation and Signal to Noise Ratio margins for the various Upstream and Downstream frequency bands. The SNRM values are around 6dB which is the usual default value unless G.Inp is active which your modem cannot do. There are no expected attenuation figures as every line is different, the D1 band is quite low so you should be getting pretty good speeds.

The ISP modem must be very bad if the Asus is better, I am sure you would get better performance with a modem using a Broadcom chipset.

Thank you. I am in a rural area and the best BT and a smarthub could get was around 30-33Mbps and now I get a little over. These speeds are fine for my usage but I wanted a VPN on the router and I found a new boxed and wrapped DSL AC68U for £25 on gumtree. Now I am just interested in the GUI which has a lot of things I don't understand!

When you say "The SNRM values are around 6dB which is the usual default value" does it stay at the default value if you change the current value in Administration - DSL Settings - Stability Adjustment. What is the purpose of this of this adjustment?

Sorry to ask simple questions.....

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 07:18:42 PM »

... the best BT and a smarthub could get was around 30-33Mbps and now I get a little over. ...

Those speeds sound very poor given the stats you have published. I'm getting a sync of about 45Mbps, and that's with the U2 and D3 bands doing nothing on my 800m approx line.  I can utilise G.INP, but even before that was available I got more than 33Mbps.
I'm wondering if there are some wiring issues loosing you some speed somewhere?
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 08:47:08 PM »

As SNRm per-band is almost ~6db I would think that line condition is perfect as it is, from:

I am in a rural area and the best BT and a smarthub could get was around 30-33Mbps and now I get a little over.

I think may be it is Copper from exchange to the PCB then Aluminium from PCB to homes if BT was keeping cost effective/performance equation in mind (but this is my speculation) now that there is an FTTC cabinet probably near to the PCB one that would be an Aluminium role to keep speed low.. also as I can imagine the cabinet is at the beginning of the rural area then lines going from that point so that could be a considerable distance + Aluminium   ::)

When you say "The SNRM values are around 6dB which is the usual default value" does it stay at the default value if you change the current value in Administration - DSL Settings - Stability Adjustment. What is the purpose of this of this adjustment?

Sorry to ask simple questions.....

No worries about questions  ;) sure SNRm 6db is the default profile since FTTC started that is almost all over the world like a standard profile, DLM could decide to raise it if the there is a line fault or faulty modem or a big source of interference affecting the frequency of VDSL2 in a band(s), yet OR pushed the 3db as the company decided to make the lines capable of delivering more speed but that is controlled by DLM and for certain lines that are able to keep the service running at 3db with certain standards [like errors below certain level, not exceeding a max. value of ES (error second) etc.] and also available on Huawei cabinets only as I believe..

For your question "What is the purpose of this of this adjustment?" first of all mediatek and lantiq chipsets (and if the manufacturer allows it, ASUS allows it from UI, others from ssh/telnet commands, others may disable such things like ISP provided ones and the cabinet accepts such adjustment )  are the only ones as I remember that can force an adjustment for the SNRm value and usually for the purpose of getting more speed from the line, like making the SNRm 3db but that may affect service stability so it is by trial and error to find the value that any decrease after it and the line will not be stable,, but if it is available or not other kitzens may provide more info. since I did not try anything like that before.

Memetrader

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 09:00:02 PM »

Thank you mofa2020 much appreciated.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 09:22:40 PM »

Anytime  :)

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 06:37:16 PM »

@Memetrader The stability and SNRM  and other adjustments that the modem can do are not supposed to be used because there are some that can affect other users on your cabinet. That is one of a number of reasons why the Asus DSL AC68U was never approved for use on Openreach FTTC services.

You would do better to use it just for router and Wi-Fi functions, then get a separate modem such as the Huawei HG612-3B which although no longer supplied by Openreach is still available second hand on auction sites.

anything