Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A Waste Of Money?  (Read 4189 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
A Waste Of Money?
« on: July 20, 2008, 03:19:23 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7512586.stm

Scientists hope to see new particles in the debris of these collisions, revealing fundamental new insights into the nature of the cosmos and how it came into being.
The most powerful physics experiment ever built, the LHC will re-create the conditions just after the Big Bang.

No mention in the BBC Report of the cost of this project, but I am at a loss as to finding out “how the cosmos came into being” is going to benefit the world. Re-creating the conditions just after the Big Bang isn’t going to help us if there is another Big Bang because I don’t think we will be around. And anyone lucky(?) enough to be around will have a job finding the reports from these spend-thrift scientists.

Does anyone else think that the money and brain power would have been better used trying to find new forms of energy to benefit the world when carbon fuels are exhausted?

dave

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: A Waste Of Money?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 04:06:37 PM »

I suppose you could say much the same about lots of advanced scientific research. There's not going to be any short term payback, but I bet there will be a long term payback. Advanced research is like that - at first it seems to have no practical value, just abstract knowledge for its own sake, but later on knowledge gained in the course of constructing and running the experiment finds application in all sorts of other areas.

Consider the moon landings 40 years ago. No large deposits of valuable minerals were found, or anything else of much practical value. But the advanced technologies which were developed to make the missions possible have been utilised in a myriad of other applications. I sleep on one of them at night (a memory foam mattress) and my back is a lot better for it. :)
  Eric

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 05:01:19 PM »

Go Team Science ;D . To be honest i'm all for scientific development and I think this might pull us further into future. Who knows we migh have flying cars soon  :clap: :clap: and robots that do everything we need so we can be lazy old buggers  ;D but then again the robots might go against us like in the Martix and such films.  :'(

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 05:01:42 PM »

I suppose you could say much the same about lots of advanced scientific research. There's not going to be any short term payback, but I bet there will be a long term payback. Advanced research is like that - at first it seems to have no practical value, just abstract knowledge for its own sake, but later on knowledge gained in the course of constructing and running the experiment finds application in all sorts of other areas.

Consider the moon landings 40 years ago. No large deposits of valuable minerals were found, or anything else of much practical value. But the advanced technologies which were developed to make the missions possible have been utilised in a myriad of other applications. I sleep on one of them at night (a memory foam mattress) and my back is a lot better for it. :)

Ah but did they actually go to the moon anyway..... very interesting theories on that one.  And anyway, I don't think they did cos they didn't find any cheese so there!  :lol:
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 05:25:52 PM »

I see what your saying Chrissie as there are a lot of theories to that like why was the america flag blowing as if there was wind but thats a whole other lecture I know nothing of  :)

But cheese on the moon I better get there soon with some crackers and Jam :yum:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 06:09:19 PM »

With the millions of tonnes of scrap satellite's and rockets lying around space it's a wonder they can even navigate there now.

Maybe it's time they spent some money and started to clean up the junk that is now polluting space.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 06:54:40 PM »

“Most physicists believe the risk of a cataclysm lies in the realms of science fiction. But there have been fears about the possibility of a mini-black hole - produced in the collider - swelling so that it gobbles up the Earth.”

Injury lawyers 4u, Accidents-direct and several other ‘No Win, No Fee Ambulance-chasers’ are preparing legal claims “just in case” but they don’t know who will still be around to serve them on.   :lol:

dave

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »

:lol: :lol:

anything