Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Keep TP Link TD-W9980 or get HG612 3B ?  (Read 1532 times)

aty

Keep TP Link TD-W9980 or get HG612 3B ?
« on: July 27, 2020, 04:39:35 PM »

Hi,

I have the tp link wd-9980 and using it on BT Fibre 2 getting 78 down and 17 up.

I have switched wireless off and I believe it’s not IPV6 compatible.

Is there and reason for me to change this for a HG612 3B, if so what benefits would I get?

TIA

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Keep TP Link TD-W9980 or get HG612 3B ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 05:05:36 PM »

The HG612 is just a modem. So unless you only intend to connect a single device by Ethernet it is not a direct replacement for the TP Link.

aty

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 05:13:32 PM »

Hi,

Yes I’m intending to connect a separate wireless router or mesh system.

I’ve seen lots of chat about people using the hg612 3B and wondered if it offered me any benefit over using the tp link that I already own as a modem only ?

Regards

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 05:19:44 PM »

The main benefit is the ability to view Line stats with an unlocked HG612. Not sure that the TP Link has a modem only mode, I think it can only be configured as either a modem/router or just wireless router.

aty

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 05:51:26 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I think is does ?

So if the Tplink does so modem only then there is no point getting a hg612 3B

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 06:48:27 PM »

I believe that you mean bridge mode to another router which is responsible for WiFi and LAN connections, yes the TP-LINK has modem mode only which will be set under WAN setup as a bridge,, if that is your case then that is where it is located (under xDSL modem router mode)

AND before all of that Welcome to the forum  ;) it is my bad not to write it first  :doh:

aty

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 12:25:57 PM »

I believe that you mean bridge mode to another router which is responsible for WiFi and LAN connections, yes the TP-LINK has modem mode only which will be set under WAN setup as a bridge,, if that is your case then that is where it is located (under xDSL modem router mode)

AND before all of that Welcome to the forum  ;) it is my bad not to write it first  :doh:

Thank you for the warm welcome.

So there would be no real advantage of having the hg612 3B then ?   

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 12:46:03 PM »

The only real advantage from an "unlocked" HG612 would be the more line stats info which also can be recorded and monitored through software like DSLstats, it could be useful and helpful in line diagnostics if something gone wrong with the connection (like huge speed drop, DSL sync. not stable, etc.. of the expected issues of copper based broadband services), although both devices probably use broadcom chipsets (I think the tp-link does use it) but tp-link blocks the direct SSH/TELNET access to the chipset and replaces it with a custom tp-link one which shows what tp-link likes to be shown, on the other hand the unlocked HG612 allows access to chipset so all the information about the line is available and can be accessed/monitored easily.

aty

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 09:32:54 PM »

The only real advantage from an "unlocked" HG612 would be the more line stats info which also can be recorded and monitored through software like DSLstats, it could be useful and helpful in line diagnostics if something gone wrong with the connection (like huge speed drop, DSL sync. not stable, etc.. of the expected issues of copper based broadband services), although both devices probably use broadcom chipsets (I think the tp-link does use it) but tp-link blocks the direct SSH/TELNET access to the chipset and replaces it with a custom tp-link one which shows what tp-link likes to be shown, on the other hand the unlocked HG612 allows access to chipset so all the information about the line is available and can be accessed/monitored easily.

Thanks for the reply.

So basically the hg612 is a modem only. So no DHCP server. QOS, packet inspection, Firewall etc?

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 11:09:38 PM »

You are welcome

Yes it is just a pure modem with no router functions, though I guess it has a firewall in case of someone is using it directly without another router behind it (sorry I did never own one so all my answers are from info. I learnt here on the forum)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 11:10:50 PM »

So basically the hg612 is a modem only. So no DHCP server. QOS, packet inspection, Firewall etc?

As initially provided by Openreach, back in 2011 (when FTTC was new in the UK), they were locked into modem-only mode. Once unlocked they can be configured as a two LAN port modem/router but are seriously underpowered for the task. They are best used in modem-only mode, even when unlocked.

One other point to consider, all Huawei HG612 devices will now be significantly aged - especially if having been used for 24 hours per day since installation.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 11:19:05 PM »

. . . though I guess it has a firewall in case of someone is using it directly without another router behind it . . .

No, it is just a modem. There is an ACL to stop access to the HG612 itself but other than that, it just provides a VDSL2 and a PTM end-point.

Think of it as VDSL2 carrying a PTM payload in/out of the WAN port and Ethernet frames out/in of the LAN port. Therefore the device that connects to the LAN port will need to be capable of providing an appropriate firewall.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

aty

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 12:47:59 PM »

No, it is just a modem. There is an ACL to stop access to the HG612 itself but other than that, it just provides a VDSL2 and a PTM end-point.

Think of it as VDSL2 carrying a PTM payload in/out of the WAN port and Ethernet frames out/in of the LAN port. Therefore the device that connects to the LAN port will need to be capable of providing an appropriate firewall.

Firstly thanks for the reply.

What cheap router would you recommend for use on a adsl fibre (fttc) ?  The good thing about the hg612 3b can be picked less than £30?

TIA