Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are FTTP typical speed/packages..? (getting FTTP installed in street)  (Read 3177 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen

Its actually kinda mind-blowing as the fibres themselves are microscopic, they have a HUGE protective sheathing around them.

Yes indeed, I first came across fibre optics in 1992 when involved with commissioning a new sub-sea high voltage control system in the petro-chemical industry where the fibres where actually incorporated within the 33 Kv. inter platform feeder, was absolutely facinated observing the termination process.
Of course, totally electrical "noise" immune which was one of the advantages over the old co-axial highways.

I'am sure the technology has advanced a lot since then.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen

The protection can be hugely smaller depending on environment - this is the stuff I have in my house between switches.

https://www.telonix.ca/ofs/ofs_invisilight.html

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

The protection can be hugely smaller depending on environment - this is the stuff I have in my house between switches.

https://www.telonix.ca/ofs/ofs_invisilight.html

Of course the drawback to that is if you aren't completely aware that its there, would be very easy to destroy, especially when stripping the wallpaper.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 05:30:06 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen

True.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MJRrpjFszh3UB49P8

It's going to be painted over in the not too distant so not too worried about the excess glue but here's my install. Runs under carpet and floorboard after it disappears then reappears behind my desk.  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Cracks in the plaster already?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen

Naturally. New builds the walls aren't completely dry when you move in, that takes months!  :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)

Quote from: tiffy
Yes indeed, I first came across fibre optics in 1992 when involved with commissioning a new sub-sea high voltage control system in the petro-chemical industry where the fibres where actually incorporated within the 33 Kv. inter platform feeder, was absolutely facinated observing the termination process.
Of course, totally electrical "noise" immune which was one of the advantages over the old co-axial highways.

I'am sure the technology has advanced a lot since then.

I first came across 'Fibre' in 1970, I still have an off cut somewhere, it was about 4mm dia hard plastic tube with many glass firbe strands and terminated in a brass feral of about 5mm dia, that was one fibre  :-\
Yes it was made of many strands of glass but it was early technology back then.
A smaller type was a 'Plastic' core type we tested, it had a plastic sheath of about 3mm with a 'Plastic' (fibre) strand core of about 1.5mm.

I used to cycle to work then and I used an 'Off Cut' on my bike, one end in the rear red light and the other end on my handle bars , I could just glance down to check my rear light was working on dark nights.

I worked in Railway Research and we used the fibre to Isolate between the 25Kv overhead train power on the pantograph for instrumentation on the pantograph.

We tested some of the more modern type of fibre when it was in it's early days of use and development, way before BT started using it.  :o
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tiffy

• Kitizen

Ahh, all our yesterdays, those were the days !

Apologies to "snadge", we seem to have somewhat hijacked his topic.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 [2]