Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are FTTP typical speed/packages..? (getting FTTP installed in street)  (Read 3173 times)

snadge

• Kitizen

Hi

BT Openreach is busy installing FTTP pods on all the junction poles in my street, the engineers said it was FTTP and it would be ready in about 2 months.

can anyone tell me, is it FTTP..? could it be G.fast? and what sort of prices, packages and speed you get from FTTP service on BT Wholesale?

thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

tiffy

• Kitizen

Noted last week in a relatively small town in N.I. I had occasion to visit that new "boxes" had been attached to all the distribution poles and to the walls of terraced commercial premises, rectangular in shape and slightly bigger than the existing copper system DP boxes, one small "cable" attached to the bottom entry point (probably fibre) with about 6 other unconnected ports visable, angled downwards at about 45 deg's.
The boxes look like they should have a lid attached but none had at this stage.

Did not manage to get a pic of any, assuming this is for FTTP service ?
The adjacent manholes had painted markings on the pavement as if cable (fibre) pulling had been a recent activity.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Openreach do not install G.fast on the poles, so it will be FTTP.  The fibre feeding the poles has a yellow stripe on it so is hard to miss.

As for speeds, I think this is already well covered on the forum.  There is no variability on FTTP, you get what you pay for, unless there is some temporary problem with capacity.  Now if wherever you are downloading from can hit those speeds is another question.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen

The fibre feeding the poles has a yellow stripe on it so is hard to miss.
Have seen this type of installation, however, in the instance I quoted earlier the single connection to the new "boxes" was a very fine black cable (or fibre) emerging from the normal metal shroud attached to the poles or from a cable bundle where mounted on terraced premises walls.
Perhaps the fibre splitter (if this is indeed fibre) is situated in the adjacent manhole ?

Pity I didn't get a photo I know, never thought at the time.
If it's of any interest or significance, the location was Cookstown, Co. Tyrone.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Have seen this type of installation, however, in the instance I quoted earlier the single connection to the new "boxes" was a very fine black cable (or fibre) emerging from the normal metal shroud attached to the poles or from a cable bundle where mounted on terraced premises walls.
Perhaps the fibre splitter (if this is indeed fibre) is situated in the adjacent manhole ?

Pity I didn't get a photo I know, never thought at the time.
If it's of any interest or significance, the location was Cookstown, Co. Tyrone.

From reading your description, I wonder if they are Connectorised Block Terminals (CBTs)?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

busterboy

Does it look like this.?

busterboy

And the fibre cable like this.

busterboy

Look out for these on the pole.

j0hn

• Kitizen

Look out for these on the pole.

That's just a fibre joint box.
Although they are used in FTTP deployments they could also be for distant FTTC cabinets or FTTP elsewhere and isn't really what they should be getting hopes up over.

Your 1st pic is what you should be looking out for with regards to FTTP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

snadge

• Kitizen

yes it looks like the first screenshot. ill grab some photos tomorrow
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

tiffy

• Kitizen

Yes, with respect to my observations, the "boxes" look exactly like the first pic (arrowed box) provided by busterboy.
Nothing resembling the third pic visable on the poles.

Regarding the cable details as shown in the second pic, looks like 6 fibres and a 3 core mains cable, wonder what's the concept here apart from the obvious fibre & power distribution ?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member

I believe it is actually 3 fibre tubes and some steel strengthening wires, there is no power involved in FTTP (GPON P = Passive) deployments.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I believe it is actually 3 fibre tubes and some steel strengthening wires, there is no power involved in FTTP (GPON P = Passive) deployments.

Correct.  :)

I remember seeing the original of that image. Due to the lighting, the colours of the fibre tubes are not true. They are actually blue, orange and green . . . the first thee colours of the standard "BOG Brown and Grey (or Slate)" quintuple, familiar to all with any experience of telephony circuity.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen

Ahh, from the pic the centre cable bundle looked just like a white 3 core mains cable (which would have been a bit strange) with the standard brown, blue & green colour coding.
I was obviously mistaking the 6 steel strengthing wires for the fibres.
Thanks to yourself and Mr b.*cat for the clarification.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Its actually kinda mind-blowing as the fibres themselves are microscopic, they have a HUGE protective sheathing around them.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: [1] 2

anything