Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC and line issue  (Read 1066 times)

EvilShubunkin

FTTC and line issue
« on: July 25, 2020, 12:31:52 PM »

At my parents house and they had been noticing some issues with internet connection dropping. I had set it up previously with HG612 and an ASUS router and thought one of them might have been at fault. Replaced with the original Hub5 and experiencing same. Longest uptime this morning has been just over an hour.

I’m suspecting a line fault somewhere. Wire from pole into house, then an Openreach joint where cable enters building and internal cable to master socket. According to parents more prone to issues when it’s windy but it’s been relatively calm so far today.

Stats from HH5

1. Product name:   BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:   +068543+NQ50744915
3. Firmware version:   Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 25/07/20
4. Board version:   BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:   0 days, 00:05:43
6. Data rate:   723 / 23830
7. Maximum data rate:   4562 / 25899
8. Noise margin:   17.5 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation:   33.4 / 33.1
10. Signal attenuation:   35.7 / 32.0

Line should be capable of full 80/20 as that’s what it was originally syncing at, and also according to the dsl checker.

Could the high attenuation indicate a line fault?

Cheers

mofa2020

• Reg Member
Re: FTTC and line issue
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 01:04:18 PM »

attenuation is way high for a FTTC line there must be something faulty (probably bad joint somewhere) on the line which is causing a persistent issue and gets worse affected by weather.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 06:20:45 PM »

It is unfortunate that you did not harvest a snapshot of the data from the HG612 before swapping out the devices.

Do you possibly have any data from the time when you first installed the HG612 modem and Asus router? A comparison of "then and now" would be helpful to see.

Have you tested the line for audible noise -- using a wired telephone? If not, then establish a call to 17070 (or 020 8759 9036) and take option number two from the menu offered. There should be absolutely no noise.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

EvilShubunkin

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 08:57:24 PM »

Didn’t have any devices to get the stats from HG612 - modern laptops are rubbish with no Ethernet ports! No old data as at the time of install they had a bigger problem with BT Wholesale authentication failure.

Fault has been logged with BT earlier this afternoon - the noise on line during quiet line test was worst I’ve ever heard on a line, lot of crackling but intermittent (as in 30 seconds good then noisy again, not hours at a time). Got a recording of it just in case needed. DSL connection been up for 4 hours now - a record today.

Thought it might coincide with swaying of phone line in wind, but nope. Some of the external wiring looks rather interesting from a distance so probably will need a thorough check over by engineer next week. The online fault checker came back with no faults external to property but as the only phone cabling is to master socket (no extensions), then it’s all Openreach responsibility.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 09:49:41 PM »

From your description, I suspect a joint that is showing semi-conductive or high resistance tendencies.

Hopefully, once the noisy line is fixed, the broadband service will then recover.

EvilShubunkin

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 05:38:29 PM »

One Openreach visit and 4 hours later all sorted. Cable replaced from pole to house and rerouted so the external cable is coming direct into the master socket, taking out the internal wiring an OR engineer put in previously - mainly as there was a flat roof of the garage directly below the existing cable entry point into the house so engineer wouldn't be allowed to clamber on that I guess. Not sure if a DLM reset was done, but email that they've received says it'll take 3 days for broadband speeds to return to normal.

All looking good so far though.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 05:51:59 PM »

That reads as a successful conclusion to the problem.

As for a DLM reset, it really depends upon the Openreach technician who attended to the task. If s/he was just network trained (i.e. telephony only) then it would be a convoluted process to request a reset. If s/he was multiskilled, a DLM reset could have been initiated via the company's provided mobile telephone.

EvilShubunkin

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »

It's not a biggie for my folks - sync was 23Mbps download which is fine for their use (no 4K TV, just HD iPlayer, Netflix - although they couldn't use anything on Monday apparently it was up and down that often) and the Skype call I had with them was fine quality-wise if the upload is still in the 730Kbps range as it was over the weekend. So as long as it improves from there back towards the 80/20 they used to have, all will be fine - I'll check it out next time I'm there.

anything