Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: RPi 4B Anomaly  (Read 4424 times)

vic0239

• Reg Member
Re: RPi 4B Anomaly
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 02:14:41 PM »

Just need to decide on an application now !
Indeed. I have 4 of the little beasties, but only one is in full-time use (I now run DSLstats in a VM on my NAS).

Last year I treated myself to a Samsung soundbar, but could not integrate it properly into my Logitech Harmony system. The inputs of the Samsung can not be selected discretely and the Harmony tried to cycle through them to find the correct one, but mostly unsuccessfully.  I read on the internet that you could send a URL to the Samsung with a discrete code for HDMI1/2 etc., so I set up one of them to facilitate that. I installed a USB IR receiver and used Xbindkeys to capture certain keystrokes which in turn runs a command to send the appropriate URL to the soundbar and thus the correct input is set. I coded these keystrokes into the Harmony - works a treat! :cool:
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 03:25:18 PM »

Indeed. I have 4 of the little beasties

They can indeed become addictive.
When a new model is launched I just can't resist.
Used to use my oldest RPi 1B on DSLStats but using Webserver data uploading max'ed out the CPU so now utilise the 3B for this, the old 1B has retired.

I still use 2 RPi ZW's remotely on my son's and daughter's VDSL-2 lines but without Webserver data uploading, work perfectly and I can keep an eye on their lines using VNC.
These may soon become redundant too as both their areas have recently become FTTP enabled.

Very interesting on your Logitech Harmony, soundbar adaption, there's always a project out there somewhere, just a matter of finding it.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 05:41:44 PM »

I have a 3B and a Zero, but never really found that use for them.  One of the things I was considering was putting humidity/temperature sensors around the house, which I also considered with Arduino based units but that's so much more awkward due to having to compile the code.

Partly why I didn't end up needing the Pi so much as having OpenWRT running on various re-purposed routers, so I already have Linux on self-contained units I can use for stuff that doesn't need GPIO pins.  Also sticking a touch screen on my server/NAS so it does double-duty as a system monitoring display / stupidly powerful tablet.

Still I'm getting that itch with the Pi 4 8GB, just to see how it performs with a full Linux OS as it seems like it wouldn't be nearly as sluggish as the Pi 3 especially booting off a USB SSD.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]

anything