Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT Offer of FTTC to FTTP Upgrade  (Read 4522 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
BT Offer of FTTC to FTTP Upgrade
« on: July 23, 2020, 06:06:36 PM »

My son's ISP is BT, currently on FTTC 80/20 service.
His address recently started to indicate FTTP service availability as confirmed by BTw availability checker.
He received a phone call from BT sales offering him an upgrade to FTTP on I believe a 24 month contract at the same cost he is already paying for his existing FTTC service, again not sure of the speeds offered.

Being a bit of a "cheeky chappie" who has been with BT for many years, he asked for the same price currently being offered to new customers for FTTP service, this was refused and he declined the offer.

Wondering if this upgrade option is now policy with BT regarding their existing FTTC customers in FTTP enabled areas ?

Edit: Probably not the best location for this post, apologies, moderators, please feel free to move. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:09:16 PM by tiffy »
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: BT Offer of FTTC to FTTP Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 07:16:36 PM »

Thanks b*cat for moving this post, bit of a mental lapse on my part, realised as soon as I posted, again apologies.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 08:31:14 PM »

I'm in an FTTC and FTTP areas and FTTC is no longer offered on the BT website.

Fibre Essentials is being offered on FTTC but everything above it is FTTP
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:02:52 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 08:44:32 PM »

Is your son in contract?

It might be worth speaking to ‘value’ team at BT (i.e. retentions) and see what offer - especially if he is out of contract or has had an email recently about his calling plan changing which would give him the right to cancel without penalty.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 09:31:23 PM »

@j0hn:
My son's location, exchange area NILDW, has only very recently become FTTP enabled.
He had previously registered interest in FTTP and was contacted by BT by way of a pnone call.

@gt94sss2:
Yes, he is out of contract.
Was recently contacted regarding the pending call plan changes in September.
Did speak to the retentions department but they wouldn't offer him the same deal as new customers, nothing new there really, same as any ISP but was worth a try I suppose.

To be honest I thought it was a good deal and one I would jump at if my area was FTTP enabled and I was with or could move to BT.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 09:41:41 PM »

What is the offer he is after Vs what he pays now?

Quite often it makes more sense to quote the tariff a competitor is offering instead of a BT offer.

Also, I don't think BT will match the gift cards they offer new customers.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 12:38:21 PM »

What is the offer he is after Vs what he pays now?

Quite often it makes more sense to quote the tariff a competitor is offering instead of a BT offer.

Also, I don't think BT will match the gift cards they offer new customers.

Can't quote exact figures regarding current cost v new customer cost but I believe it is significant.
Not sure what other ISP's (if any) could/would offer comparable FTTP service in our area.
Yes, agree on new customer offers, ISP's in general just won't offer these to existing customers.

Was really just wondering if it was BT's current policy to offer FTTP upgrades in enabled areas at the same cost as FTTC service to existing customers ?
Again, not sure what the FTTP cost would be after the 24 month initial contract period.   

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 01:06:15 PM »

Having decided to proceed with FTTP, my son is having a very poor experience with OR to date.

Initially given an install date of yesterday, 16/09/20, 13:00 to 18:00 hrs. time slot, approx., 2 weeks from signing up, following the supplied guidance of a "decision maker" being available to discuss the installation, he took a half day off work to be at home.
Has to be said that BT's service has been excellent, very regular text / e-mail updates, new router / Wi-Fi extender arrived 2 days before the planned installation, engineers name and mobile number supplied @ 12:30 hrs., advised that more accurate time would be updated ASAP..

However, engineer did not show up or call to advise further.
Phoned engineer on provided mobile number @ 17:30 hrs., straight to voice mail, left message requesting update, nothing heard.

My son contacted BT after 18:00 hrs. to request update.
Spoke to very helpful support agent @ Liverpool call centre, who advised his OR contact was now closed to 08:00 hrs. the next day, promised to follow this up and advise further.
Intimated that this scenario was unfortunately far from unique with OR..

BT support agent returned call as promised, advised that BT could / would not provide any reason for the no attendance yesterday, advised that the engineer tried to make contact @ 19:00, no call received !

So despite having followed all the OR guidelines and with no reason supplied, the installation has now been re-scheduled for 01/10/20, a further 2 weeks delay, the BT support agent stated he would insist on a morning appointment, should a no show occur again there is a better chance of contacting OR before they shut up shop for the day and get some action.

My son has been a BT patron for at least 20 years since buying his first house, while very happy with their service OR seem to be a some what different issue which I appreciate would probably be the same or perhaps worse with any other ISP..

Edit: Typo correction. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 01:09:22 PM by tiffy »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 04:53:25 PM »

There is the possibility that it was not an Openreach member of staff but a sub-contractor, working on behalf of Openreach, who failed to keep the appointment.

BT support agent returned call as promised, advised that BT could / would not provide any reason for the no attendance yesterday, advised that the engineer tried to make contact @ 19:00, no call received !

That would really annoy me. I would let it be known that I will be raising "BT could / would not provide any reason for the no attendance yesterday" at a higher level within the BT Group until an adequate explanation is given.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 09:26:21 PM »

There is the possibility that it was not an Openreach member of staff but a sub-contractor, working on behalf of Openreach, who failed to keep the appointment.

We don't get so much of this with OR Northern Ireland, inclined to be OR staff here for domestic installations or faults.
Have noticed guite a few "Krone Network" vans around, identified as "sub-contractors to OR" but always at PCP cabinets, pavement chambers etc., have never seen any at domestic dwellings.
Krone also operate the "cherry picker" for telegraph pole top access in this area.

Yes, it is quite annoying especially as BT actively chased my son to commit to the FTTP upgrade and now it looks like he has gone to the back of the installation queue again with a further 2 week delay through absolutely no fault on his part.

I have advised him to try the BT forum route which he doesn't normally frequent, worth a try if a staff member takes up the issue.
As I said earlier, BT have been really good, the issue appears to be with OR or the communication between both.
Of course, he is only hearing the version of the story according to BT as direct communication to OR is not possible !

Edit: Typo correction. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 10:23:05 AM by tiffy »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 09:51:56 AM »

It's also my own experience of FTTP installations (not the actual splitter builds), is that it is performed in-house.

I can only speak for my area others may operate differently, but I suspect the take-up isn't at a level yet that would warrant contract staff ?? As usual, I always stand to be corrected though.   :)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 10:39:31 AM »

The installion in question is an underground feed which I suspect would be "DIG" cableing as this would seem to be the normal house build contractor practice in this area, the few UG installations I have seen have required digging from the footpath chamber to a new entry point on the wall with a metal protection conduit fitted.

Overhead cable installations seem to be much easier from the installers point of view, I wonder if this is a factor with the delay with the FTTP installation in question ?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »

The installion in question is an underground feed which I suspect would be "DIG" cableing as this would seem to be the normal house build contractor practice in this area, the few UG installations I have seen have required digging from the footpath chamber to a new entry point on the wall with a metal protection conduit fitted.

Overhead cable installations seem to be much easier from the installers point of view, I wonder if this is a factor with the delay with the FTTP installation in question ?

Aha, yes that would probably answer it.

The FTTP connection will have been left at your house boundary to be picked up once the dig & duct has taken place. This kind of work will deffo be done by contractors, but the install will likely be OR.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 12:05:51 PM »

Yes, I think the "penny may have dropped" with the assigned OR engineer (as advised by BT on the day) that the UG installation required would not be that simple, probably had local knowledge of the area as he did not actually attend.

Lets hope that the engineer did complete a report on the non attendance or completion of the task, the relevant departments communicated with each other and the next BT assigned installation day, 01/10, will not be a repeat performance.

Many thanks for your inside knowledge on the subject, much appreciated.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 09:40:40 AM »

Hmmm ??

If your set-up is as I am assuming it to be, then the situation is slightly puzzling ??

Why ? Because part of the surveyors job when 'building' a splitter node, is to create a SNM file (Survey Network Markers). This contains various info such as address and NAD's etc, but also has a comment taken from a lengthy drop-down menu stating whether the house is fed underground, overhead, road crossings involved, trees in line of sight blah-de-blah.

I would have thought that A) this info would have been captured, as the full splitter node wouldn't get through the commissioning stage without it, and B) that a PTD form (permission to dig) would need to be signed giving permission for the contractors to work on your sons property.

Of course, this is purely guess work based on my own understanding of the situation.
Pages: [1] 2