Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Proving port and cabinet  (Read 1701 times)

organum

• Just arrived
Proving port and cabinet
« on: July 23, 2020, 05:58:53 PM »

Advice would be appreciated.
Our VSDL2 service from TalkTalk went from ADSL on July 13th. The landline continued to work and the router sync'd correctly but no IP address and hence no internet.

Having spent a lot of time on the telephone and chat lines TT changed the modem and had Openreach out to check everything, or so they said.

The only clue I have and reminded them is that when we ordered the VSDL2 there was a period when they had to refuse the connection because of an error on the Openreach side to do with a non matching address. This was resolved and the go live advised.

To my mind it is either the VSDL2 DSLAM port incorrectly configured or the link between that port and TT.

Since I am clutching at straws here when TT should be resolving the situation is there any way I can prove the port number and cabinet relating to our number? Using the lookup on this site I can see that on exchange SMLBD the cabinet for my number is P17.
Is there a method of identifying the port?
Does this sound feasible?
Many thanks
Richard

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Proving port and cabinet
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 06:44:45 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum. :)

Leighton Buzzard TE and PCP17.

The fact that your telephone is still working (I presume you have ensured that the associated number is correct?) tells us that there has been no mishap with the tie-cables that link the DSLAM to the PCP.

Unfortunately there is no way to check if the physical port being used matches that which has been assigned when the service was provisioned. You ISP should check that the configuration mapping for the service and port provisioned, etc, is correct.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 12:54:12 AM »

The only thing I think about and easy to do (if possible from TalkTalk side), call them maybe little explain of the situation and then ask the customer service rep. to do a resync. for the service at his/her end while that is being done you should see the DSL light on modem/router went out then starting flashing again till the line fully resync. if that happens then for sure 100% the port is correct both on TalkTalk and OR but for some reason PPPoE connection is not working, if the modem/router did not show a resync. is happening then the line port is mixed and not the same on both sides.

One last thing, I had an issue with my ISP (non UK) which is the same as yours exactly but the reason was a new PPPoE username/password due to a change happened in system upon my request but no one told me and yes line sync. normally but no IP (no internet at all) until I called them one time and by coincidence a customer service rep. who is knowing what happened told me about it and bingo everything worked fine ever since, check this matter with them if something changed in the configuration it might be your case.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 01:10:17 AM »

The only thing I think about and easy to do (if possible from TalkTalk side), call them maybe little explain of the situation and then ask the customer service rep. to do a resync. for the service at his/her end . . .

That is a good idea but would not be possible in the UK, as no ISP has software operational access of the cabinet based DSLAMs.

organum

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 07:44:46 AM »

Thanks all. Interesting information which sadly tells me that I am back to persuading TT to ditch their script and employ the little grey cells.
I do sympathise with TT who, like all ISPs, have to totally rely on OR.

In this case they have offered to send out OR again, which would really cost them, but would an OR engineer be able to check for such port misconfig?

Since this is done as part of the ordering process I have my doubts.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »

They should at least be able to verify your line is physically connected to a port at the cabinet.  Often what will happen if in doubt they will switch ports then report that back, so it should potentially at least do something to help confirm which port you are connected to from their side.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 12:56:51 PM »

Is it a modem only or modem/router combo? I think TalkTalk uses Huawei routers like the HG633, or something similar.

Can you post the line stats? and mention the package you subscribed to.

organum

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 01:28:41 PM »

It's a Sagemcom router and stats attached. As you can see it is sync'd just fine but no IP address.

Finally I spoke to someone in tech support who understood what a port was and agreed that the DSLAM port is not configured correctly so has escalated to a Senior engineer to reconfig. Should be fixed within the next however many hours.

I will post the results!

Thanks to y'all

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 01:56:34 PM »

Oh glad that some one finally found the problem and took the proper action  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 05:44:21 PM »

Finally I spoke to someone in tech support who understood what a port was and agreed that the DSLAM port is not configured correctly so has escalated to a Senior engineer to reconfig. Should be fixed within the next however many hours.

Ah, some progress, at last.

I will post the results!

Yes, please do.

Thanks to y'all

You are welcome.

organum

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 07:04:22 AM »

Situation report 3 weeks after go live date.

We are still without internet and after the latest discussion with support last Thursday they again promised to escalate as their radius server was incorrectly configured.
Mohammed said he would keep an eye on the case and would telephone on Wednesday to confirm the internet is connected.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 09:52:42 AM »

TalkTalk have something called supportal which can tell you the correct card and port number at the exchange,

Example:
Exchange Details
Exchange   xxxxxx   
MSAN ID   xxxxxx   
Frame   0   
Card   9   
Port   17   
Chipset   3

It's nice to hear you are with 3rd line support, is Mohamed your escalation case manager?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 07:29:39 PM »

TalkTalk have something called supportal which can tell you the correct card and port number at the exchange,

Example:
Exchange Details
Exchange   xxxxxx   
MSAN ID   xxxxxx   
Frame   0   
Card   9   
Port   17   
Chipset   3

It's nice to hear you are with 3rd line support, is Mohamed your escalation case manager?

I'd imagine that only works for ADSL.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

organum

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 05:34:27 PM »

Finally now online with really excellent speeds as you can see.

The support guy did not telephone so I could not ask for a definitive fault explanation but anyway as at 5.30pm but it works.

Thanks to all for your help.

Richard

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 06:13:00 PM »

A successful result has finally been achieved. It's unfortunate that it took so long to resolve the misconfiguration.  :-X

Pages: [1] 2