Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Router recommendation please!  (Read 2816 times)

z1ts

• Reg Member
Re: Router recommendation please!
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2020, 02:30:16 PM »

It does not require their own client software to use vpn although they do have their own easy to use software for dial in users if preferred

John

Thanks, yes we use the Windows built in one at work. Seems to work quite well.

Not sure if there's any massive advantage to the Draytek supplied software!

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2020, 05:26:14 PM »

I can endorse Johns comments. I’ve never needed the Draytec VPN software. I have  used native clients on Apple, Android and Windows without any issues ( as long as you don’t use ppp)

I’ve several Draytecs with LAN-LAN running constantly to Azure and dial in for clients.

They are very configurable albeit a bit overwhelming in the GUI. Cisco features at a fraction of the price.

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2020, 12:09:11 AM »

As Draytek has been mentioned on here a couple of times, and I'm currently running a Draytek Vigor2862 at work (using the dial-in VPN feature successfully) I think I might take a look in more detail at the 2762 - as per the screenshot below (with the must-haves highlighted!) it includes all of the features I most want and comes in around £75 for the non-WiFi one, with a bit of careful shopping around.

I think that will probably be perfectly adequate for your usage. If you can purchase from a site that will accept returns (just in case) then there is nothing to loose by testing one.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2020, 02:18:48 AM »

I will probably get in trouble for saying this; please be kind, am genuinely trying to be helpful.

When I was doing his kind of thing every day right across the country, I used Windows’ Remote Desktop to access WinXP boxes. I used the VPN protocol available in my Netgear DG834v3 router’s which worked really well. What was an utter pain though was the use of NAT. I hate NAT like poison but most people are used to it and do not mind it at all, so mine is a minority opinion.

This minority opinion says don’t use NAT, insist on a proper internet connection from your ISP. Either use IPv6 in which case the question goes away - yay but then there are other minor difficulties instead - or get an ISP that gives you enough IPv4 addresses for your needs.

Of course this may very well not be relevant to you as the networks you are talking to may not be ones that you control so you don’t have a choice and in this case I apologise.

I’m just pointing out my own experience when I decided to remedy things and got an upgraded network connect which had plenty of aipV4 addresses, enough for my needs. Before when I was using NAT I had got used to logging on to the remote router first to tell it to redirect the NAT translation for the firewall hole to the correct machine’s IPv4 address (no IPv6 at this time). When NAT was gone, then there was no problem of having to choose which machine I was going to talk to and then connecting to it as a second step.

If using IPv6 there is the issue of how to handle addressing of the remote machines - you have to somehow identify them so you can talk to them; that’s a subject for another thread though.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 06:18:22 AM »

Weaver,. If your using a VPN to access the remote network then surely NAT is irrelevant, you just enter the IP address of the machine you want to access. Prior to using a VPN I would just use different port numbers and set up forwarding rule's in the router.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2020, 08:08:44 AM »

Hi

+1 for ronski

VPN/nat is much safer for RDP due to no open firewall port and if vpn encrypted, no additional RDP ssl (if end point is a terminal server)

@weaver - there is not enough ipv4 for everyone (AA would quickly run out if all their clients were given same number of ipv4 as yourself)  and ipv6 is very slowly increasing but I am sure there will be holes/bugs which would be exploited if everyone uses ipv6 which are not yet known or published

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2020, 08:22:32 AM »

Ah. It seems that I wasn’t using a very sophisticated router or rather my customer wasn’t. Anyway, either it didn’t have that trick about per-port selected redirection or I had not thought of it. :-[ Any way, mea culpa maxima. Probably because I wasn’t used to NAT that approach hadn’t occurred to me.  :'(  The other option might have been to re-flash the router with some more sophisticated software.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything