Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Router recommendation please!  (Read 2817 times)

z1ts

• Reg Member
Re: Router recommendation please!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »

Having seen some quite attractively priced BT HH5a on fleabay, a quick question:- would one of these do what I need?

(I.e. is this caveat aimed at the extreme-end of noviceness??? This router with this software is not plug-and-play needs to be configured by the user.  ?)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 04:38:06 PM »

Having seen some quite attractively priced BT HH5a on fleabay, a quick question:- would one of these do what I need?

Probably not. They are ISP branded, give-away, devices.

As I understand it, your wish list is something like --
  • VDSL2 modem/router/firewall, an all-in-one box.
  • VPN able.
  • DDNS able.
  • ISP independent.
  • Broadcom chipset.
  • Cost not to exceed £100.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »

Something like the Billion 8900AX-1600 R2 or Asus DSL-AC88U would meet the OP's requirements, except that they're considerably more than £100. Otherwise if the OP can live without the VPN feature, then something like the Netgear D6400 would be an excellent choice - its around £100 from Amazon.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 05:38:00 PM by psychopomp1 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 05:20:59 PM »

• VPN able.
  • DDNS able.
  • ISP independent.
  • Broadcom chipset.

I can't think of a single device that meets all those requirements anywhere near that price range.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 08:23:18 PM »

Could be done with a 2 box solution if you are happy to go used. HG612+AC68U , but as noted above, what you want can't be done on your budget so you need to compromise on the spec or up the budget

siofjofj

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 08:25:36 PM »

• VPN able.
  • DDNS able.
  • ISP independent.
  • Broadcom chipset.

I believe the TP-Link Archer VR600 v2 meets all these requirements. Indeed, my requirements were very similar hence why I bought one myself several years ago. A few things to note though:

The VR600 v2 has a built in OpenVPN server and PPTP VPN server, but the v1 does not. I got stung by this when I ordered one shortly after the v2 came out and ended up receiving a v1. I now use a raspberry pi as an OpenVPN server, so if you want to avoid this perhaps buy from somewhere with a good returns policy in case you get a v1 (unlikely though, the v2 has been out for a few years now).

While it does have a Broadcom chipset, the telnet cli is locked down so by default DSLstats and the like won't work. This certainly can be unlocked (instructions are on this forum) in the case of the VR600 v1 since this is what I have running now, so might be possible for the v2 too. I believe some members have successfully unlocked the telnet interface of the VR900 too. The VR900 also meets all your requirements, but is slightly more expensive for the benefit of faster Wi-Fi, but given that you have separate access points this is probably not a worthwhile upgrade.

I use my VR600 with the DuckDNS DDNS service, but there is a "NO-IP" option in the GUI too so this should work for you.

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 09:42:28 AM »

I can't think of a single device that meets all those requirements anywhere near that price range.

The Broadcom chipset (if that's a prerequisite to DSLStats etc.) isn't a must I don't think!

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 09:44:24 AM »

Probably not. They are ISP branded, give-away, devices.

Apologies - should have included "that has been flashed with OpenWRT"

Sorry

• VPN able.
  • DDNS able.
  • ISP independent.
  • Broadcom chipset.

That sums it perfectly - apart from perhaps the Broadcom chipset, not an absolute must!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 09:51:34 AM »

The HH5a is a very weak device, its WiFi in particular doesn't get close to hitting the speeds it should do as its CPU bottlenecked.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2020, 09:53:09 AM »

The HH5a is a very weak device, its WiFi in particular doesn't get close to hitting the speeds it should do as its CPU bottlenecked.

I agree - they're not particularly mind-blowing!

(I don't actually need WiFi though as this is handled by 3 x IgniteNet WAP's)

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2020, 09:58:51 AM »

As Draytek has been mentioned on here a couple of times, and I'm currently running a Draytek Vigor2862 at work (using the dial-in VPN feature successfully) I think I might take a look in more detail at the 2762 - as per the screenshot below (with the must-haves highlighted!) it includes all of the features I most want and comes in around £75 for the non-WiFi one, with a bit of careful shopping around.

Unless I'm missing something, shout if I am! Then I think this is quite a robust solution.

Appreciate your help & input guys & girls!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »

I'm a bit suspect at it saying SSL VPN, literally any router with full iptables access (granted, not entirely common for consumer hardware) should handle that I think but I don't think it works as well as a proper VPN.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 01:15:18 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2020, 01:24:45 PM »

Alex, interesting! I'm learning more along this journey than I thought I would!

From the Draytek website:- "SSL VPNs provide a method for teleworker to central site VPNs, providing great convenience, low TCO and simplicity where other methods may not be possible. SSL VPN hosting - i.e. acting as the receiving endpoint for a remote user is supported on many DrayTek models."

I assume/hope that this is what I will use!

I basically want to sit in front of my laptop anywhere where I've got an internet connection and enable the 'home VPN connection' and access all the things on my home network, i.e. NAS, printer, CCTV, SWMBO's laptop, kid's laptops etc.

Cheers for your guidance.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »

Looks like they use their own client so I guess it should work.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2020, 01:53:59 PM »

Hi

We use a lot of draytek and in vpn encrypted mode on both lan to lan and dial in

It does not require their own client software to use vpn although they do have their own easy to use software for dial in users if preferred

Many thanks

John
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything