Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky and G.fast offer  (Read 1191 times)

hushcoden

• Reg Member
Sky and G.fast offer
« on: July 18, 2020, 11:12:05 PM »

I had a chat a couple of times with Sky customer service about their G.fast offer and in both occasions (first time in February and then recently last week) they confirmed that they will only provide me with VoIP service, no chance to use the landline as a standard phone line  >:( ergo I'd be forced to use the Sky router in order to use the phone  :no:

I really don't want to use their router, but I'd like to keep my current config, i.e. modem in bridge mode (currently is a VMG1312-B10A) <--> OPNsense box <--> WAP (Netgear R7800): any suggestions ?

Tia.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 11:39:29 PM by hushcoden »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Sky and G.fast offer
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 05:17:23 AM »

Not possible if you want to use the landline, unless you port the number to a 3rd party VOIP provider and get Sky to issue a new number and just don't use it.

Sky will only provide G.Fast using OpenReach's SOGFast, which is broadband only with no landline.
Sky bundle a VOIP service that will only work with their hub.

This is exactly how BT do VOIP, you must use their hub to use the landline number.

There's no way round this I'm afraid.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 09:06:15 AM »

I'm glad we ditched the landline years ago if this is the way it's going, but then we are lucky to have excellent mobile reception at home.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 04:18:40 PM »

I'm quite happy with Zen, but I don't like the fact that with G.fast they halves the upload to 10Mbps...

What left me dumbfounded is the fact the (Zen) sales rep (no matter what I said) was adamant that I won't receive any G.fast modem, but instead Openreach will install a G.fast faceplate (master socket) and I will continue to use the fritzbox 7530 that they originally provided me...  ???

Also, I understood that although with my current 80/20 offer I'm connected to their infrastructure, with G.fast I'll be connected to Openreach, not sure what they mean...  :-\
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 04:33:32 PM by hushcoden »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 05:31:15 PM »

I'm quite happy with Zen, but I don't like the fact that with G.fast they halves the upload to 10Mbps...

What left me dumbfounded is the fact the (Zen) sales rep (no matter what I said) was adamant that I won't receive any G.fast modem, but instead Openreach will install a G.fast faceplate (master socket) and I will continue to use the fritzbox 7530 that they originally provided me...  ???

Technically true about the Fritzbox.

OpenReach will install a G.Fast faceplate and give you a G.Fast modem.

You continue to use the Fritzbox as a router. Zen don't provide anything.
As they don't provide anything directly perhaps the sales rep is unaware OpenReach bring a modem.

Also, I understood that although with my current 80/20 offer I'm connected to their infrastructure, with G.fast I'll be connected to Openreach, not sure what they mean...  :-\

Both the VDSL2 and G.Fast DSLAM's are OpenReach's infrastructure.
Perhaps it's a reference to the backhaul.
FTTC might be Zens own backhaul while G.Fast can be over BT Wholesale backhaul.

It's a confusing way to word that.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything