Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Will FTTP replace G.Fast in already completed G.Fast areas?  (Read 3026 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

I live in a G.Fast area but I'm really too far from the cabinet to make it worth my while.

My area was one of the first G.Fast enabled areas, will Openreach be enabling FTTP in these kinds of areas or will we be stuck for good?

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Will FTTP replace G.Fast in already completed G.Fast areas?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 02:53:27 PM »

I live in a G.Fast area but I'm really too far from the cabinet to make it worth my while.

My area was one of the first G.Fast enabled areas, will Openreach be enabling FTTP in these kinds of areas or will we be stuck for good?

Hi

Openreach are adding FTTP into areas with G.Fast, so it's not a definite "No you will never get FTTP" simply because there is some G.Fast.  The question that is hard to answer is "When" might it happen, could be next month all the way up to 15 years or more!

You will need to tell us your exchange area (and the area you sit relative to it) which may give some indication to a "When" to those with a bit more knowledge of such things.

Regards

Phil

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 03:55:07 PM »

OpenReach have done a fair bit of overbuild of FTTP in G.Fast areas.

In some areas they have completely overbuilt the G.Fast making it pretty much redundant.
In other areas they have skipped FTTP for those who get full speed on G.Fast and rolled out FTTP for those without G.Fast (including those with lower estimates).

The fact your area has G.Fast doesn't mean you won't get FTTP.
The fact someone has access to full rate G.Fast might delay FTTP somewhat as they might be skipped initially.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 02:51:12 PM »

Parsons Green exchange.

Vera Road is where I sit, G.Fast estimate is just about 100Mb

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 04:21:47 PM »

I'm in a somewhat similar position, not that far away in Wandsworth so I sympathise. In our case, we are too far out from the cabinet fl to get g.fast mainly due I suspect to poor copper in our local loop.

jwgs

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 03:03:52 PM »

I'm in a similar area, connected to the Putney exchange in Wandsworth borough. I can get g.fast, but only just (install engineer said distance to the cab was just over 300m), and was wondering whether the fact g.fast is somewhat widely available in the area would mean upgrading it to fttp is less of a priority? Any idea how long we could be waiting for fttp deployment? (The exchange isn't listed as being an openreach 'priority' as far as I can find)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 07:35:47 PM »

If G.fast is available at the cabinet I'm on, but I was out of range. Would it still show up on the broadbandchecker site? i.e. as not available?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 08:14:39 PM »

If G.fast is available at the cabinet I'm on, but I was out of range. Would it still show up on the broadbandchecker site? i.e. as not available?

Nope.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 11:23:22 PM »

Wandsworth and Putney are on the list of 100 BT exchanges to close by 2030. (See https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/12/openreach-consult-on-closure-plans-for-4600-uk-exchanges.html)

I suspect we will see FTTP within the next 3 years, if not sooner. Openreach have to realise that at the speed other firms are installing fibre, they will be ceding large profitable markets unless they concentrate their build on more on urban areas instead of rural ones

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 12:48:12 AM »

G.fast was not available in 43 Greenfield Road, Great Barr, Birmingham B43 5AR and G.fast available in 47 Greenfield Road, Great Barr, Birmingham B43 5AR. So, Openreach put FTTP on both houses there.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 12:27:09 AM »

Openreach overbuilt G.fast within 6 months of it going live at my previous address. They don't seem to blink at the presence of G.fast, especially if there are premises that can't receive it.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 09:55:17 PM »

Last time I spoken with Openreach engineer to install new master socket at my parents. They did ask the engineer their cabinet are too far approx within 500m away and their FTTC estimate only get 75.4 but no G.fast or FTTP except me with FTTC estimate of 80.0 and G.fast 259.8 but no FTTP. The engineer told us both for this area with Cuckoo Oak exchange, you both are unlikely to get any FTTP not within next 5-10 years.  :(

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 10:52:20 PM »

I can pretty much guarantee that an engineer working on the copper line knows nothing about what the FTTP plans are.  Most of these comments from engineers are purely their opinion.

I once talked to an engineer working on a cabinet who said FTTP would be coming soon to my area, that was perhaps 10 years ago now.

I mean yes, its coming NOW, but I wouldn't call it "soon".  Even our resident experts who have a much closer association with that side of the business can only see what is CURRENTLY happening, not what is coming.

The only person who half a clue is the Project Manager for the area.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 11:41:09 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 03:06:19 PM »

Not surprised BTw removed G.fast in my property now for no reason  ??? and still no FTTP available yet! That's a shocker! But who care? As long I still on FTTC lol  ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 04:02:18 PM »

Just a checker update. It's back.

anything