Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Twitter hacked & compromised?  (Read 1224 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Twitter hacked & compromised?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 11:14:37 AM »

oops indeed when they ended up temp banning a large portion of 359k verified accounts, some of them very high profile names.    Strength of password was no obstacle, but tbh  I doubt if there are many things which are truly uncrackable given time :(  There's [currently unproved] rumours that a twitter employee may be involved. :'(
Whoever is behind this one, was in it for the $, opposed to notoriety hacking. 

I checked the balance of one of the associated bitcoin accounts.  It's received 376 'donations' totalling £93,113 yesterday.  Of course it's all been withdrawn bar a few quid.  If you add up all of the bitcoin accounts used, the hacker(s) made themselves a tidy profit. 

Just goes to show the naivety of some people when it comes to money - logic goes out of the window if they think they can make a quick profit themselves.  Whatever happened to common sense behind the saying "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is"...  and it's why scammers continue to do what they do.   :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Twitter hacked & compromised?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 01:38:55 PM »

My view is, even if only 1 person in 1000 is daft enough to transfer $1000, that’s still a dollar per person.  And with a world population over 7 billion, I wonder how many have twitter accounts following one of the affected feeds?

I think I read somewhere that Twitter were suggesting the means of access was by getting control over individual accounts of some of their own trusted admin staff, who had all the permissions required.   Not sure if there was meant to be an implication that it might even have been an ‘inside job’.

anything