« on: July 14, 2020, 02:34:31 PM »

Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: Huawei
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 05:08:26 PM »

Seems all the Huawei kit has to be ripped out ! BT say that will take 10 years but government says sooner. Perhaps we will all be on ECI soon !
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 06:20:00 PM »

I am not from UK but we also have huawei and ZTE equipment. I want to ask is there real security threat from it or it is just under pressure from USA for USA China trade war?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 06:23:08 PM »

Seems all the Huawei kit has to be ripped out ! BT say that will take 10 years but government says sooner. Perhaps we will all be on ECI soon !

I think it's only 5G kit that must go, but they should look to transition to different suppliers for other equipment.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 06:59:30 PM »

I am not from UK but we also have huawei and ZTE equipment. I want to ask is there real security threat from it or it is just under pressure from USA for USA China trade war?

The reasoning seems to be that the US sanctions will force Huawie to source components from less trusted sources, making the products less secure and less reliable.  Here’s what the supposedly impartial NCSC have to say.

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/huawei-advice-what-you-need-to-know

Taken at face value, that would seem to suggest that Huawie products are likely to struggle to meet security requirements globally, not just UK, although some countries probably set a lower threshold for security.  If NCSC are being straight with us, it would seem reasonable to me, to expect a lot of other countries to follow suit. 

But who knows what politics are in play?   Including the politic that the UK needs the USA as a friend.  And also that UK is unpopular in many place and their governments, even if they agree with NCSC, may simply not want to be seen to be “following suit” to the UK.