Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Apple app update servers  (Read 2725 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Apple app update servers
« on: July 12, 2020, 11:52:31 AM »

Recently was trying to download an update to an iPad app from Apple’s servers, a patch to or new version of the Numbers spreadsheet. The patch was said to be 26 MB long. That should take me about 30s on my slow network connection, but 5 mins gone and it’s still going, crawling along. It’s so slow that I did a speed test with the Ookla speed tester while the download was still running, which should of course cause the test results to be lower than they should be, but I got a tester download speed of over 9 Mbps. That is pretty good these days, with a current poor speed from line #4 downstream (420 kbps below what it should be just now), and that decent figure suggests that the download is so slow that it isn’t even reducing the speed tester results down much.

I’ve written this post and the download is still going, about 70% complete now. It must be ten minutes nearly. A very rough guess is that it’s ~20 times slower than normal, maybe more.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Apple app update servers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 12:38:45 PM »

It has been going 40 mins or so now and it is still only at 75%. Looking at graphs of traffic on AA’s clueless.aa.net.uk server shows downstream at very roughly 150-200kbps (an instantaneous spot reading). At that speed it should have only taken about 17 mins, so in fact it is effectively managing a lot less than that on average in terms of TCP payload.

It has become so ridiculous now that I started having my suspicions, so I closed every running app down and then rebooted the ipad. When it came back up again, the new app version was there, installed - I can tell it’s the new version because it showed an alert advertising new features.

So all good in the end, just some sort of weird protocol hang thing, but I have no idea why the slowness before it completely ground to a halt right at the end. In nine years, I’ve never seen behaviour like that from the app store. I have seen just this sort of nonsense from amazon or netflix when downloading movies/programmes.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 12:51:31 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Apple app update servers
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 11:37:08 PM »

I guess that is another item to file under the heading of Life's Little Mysteries!

[I really don't think that this is a topic for "Known Network Issues + MSOs" so it has been moved to "Apple Related".]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything