Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Remote monitoring of Netgear DG834 V4  (Read 2671 times)

DonnyDave

• Just arrived
Remote monitoring of Netgear DG834 V4
« on: July 10, 2020, 01:51:27 AM »

Is it possible to monitor a Netgear DG834 V4 over the Internet securely?

I would like to help someone who I know who is having difficulty with her connection. I know RouterStats says it works with the DG834. Can it work via SSH or is there another way that the connection would be secure? Am I right in saying Telnet is insecure?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Remote monitoring of Netgear DG834 V4
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 09:20:14 AM »

Is the simple approach of using TeamViewer (or similar) to access one of her PCs so you are looking from the LAN side practical?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

DonnyDave

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 03:23:01 PM »

Is the simple approach of using TeamViewer (or similar) to access one of her PCs so you are looking from the LAN side practical?
Thanks for that suggestion jelv. It might be a viable option. It's not something I've used before, nor heard of until now.

My experience is using RouterStats a few years ago on my USRobotics USR9108. It would be good to learn more.

I have read a little about SSH tunnelling and think perhaps that might be suitable, if it's easy to talk through the setup over the phone/by e-mail to someone who doesn't know much about computers.

I have read the Kitz pages on DLM and found that interesting and informative. I now understand error seconds and the significance of them. No doubt that's an important stat to look at.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 04:19:24 PM »

TeamViewer is very easy to use. You both download, install and run. In their window in the section Allow Remote Control they will see Your Id and Password which they give to you. You enter their Id in the Partner Id field click connect and enter the password. You now have complete access to their PC . There's also an Unattended Access option where they can set Start TeamViewer with Windows which means they don't even have to log in for you to be able to access (provided you know one of their windows logins and passwords).
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 04:51:55 PM »

@DonnyDave:

My understanding from your original post is that you wish to remotely monitor someones router stats with view to diagnosing possible line issues rather than having the capability of connecting to their PC remotely ?
Of course, they could be running the modem/router monitoring program on a PC and you would like to connect remotely to this ?

A solution I have utilised in the past for a similar scenario was to run DSLStats on a RPi Zero W and connect to this remotely using VNC, the RPi connected to the modem/router via Wi-Fi and was powered from the USB port, worked very well and we got to the bottom of the issue.
I currently utilise 2 RPi ZW's on my son and daughters VDSL-2 FTTC lines running DSLStats and connected by VNC, can remotely monitor & record their line stats 24/7.
VNC free edition for RPi allows up to 5 remote connections.

From memory, Netgear modem/routers can run DSLStats but there can be issues, the program author, "roseway" (Eric) did not directly support Netgear devices and could not guarantee results, I had to use RouterStats when using a Netgear modem, don't believe that this will run on a RPi. 
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

DonnyDave

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Things are running OK so we are leaving it at that.

In response to tiffy's comment about using a Raspberry Pi to monitor another's connection, I took a watched a few videos on the Raspberry Pi, something I've never delved into before. I'd probably want to mount it in a box to keep it safe!

I was taken back to childhood with installs on the Pi of RISCOS, the operating system of the Archimedes, the Archimedes being in school in the early to mid 90s. Oh, and the Archimedes computers going for hundreds, and the BBCs even more! The exclamation mark, sorry the pling, should be at the beginning. It brings back memories of waiting what must have been the best part of a minute or more for !PipeDream or !Draw to load over the Econet network.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 09:03:08 PM »

@DonnyDave:

Funny enough, I was just looking at a u-tube video a few days ago about alternative operating systems available for RPi's, may well have been the video you refered to, will attach a link in case anyone else is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jrVyFEvYT0

You can have a go with a Raspberry Pi for a very modest outlay, for example a RPi ZW for about £10, if you wish to add a case, about £5 extra, should get away with a 5V. phone charger for powering the Zero, my remote units are powered from their respective modem/routers USB-2 ports.
Can run RPi's "headless" to your desktop or laptop PC, Windows, Linux or Mac, so don't need to bother about a VDU, keyboard or mouse.
Only other requirement is a micro SD card, all the software is readily available on line and completely free.

However, be warned, RPi's can become addictive !
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

DonnyDave

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 12:05:47 AM »

Thanks tiffy. I watched Acorn Archimedes RISC OS in 2013 (Raspberry Pi) by Dan Wood, and also a few videos on Christopher Barnatt's channel.

anything