Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anyone use a co2 monitor for the house?  (Read 1334 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Anyone use a co2 monitor for the house?
« on: July 09, 2020, 05:36:11 PM »

I've a special interest in co2 as my medical situation is that I retain too much of it, so after stumbling around the Internet I found a device that measures co2 levels in rooms.

Apparently this is the levels and effects of different co2 levels;

CO2

250-400ppm    Normal background concentration in outdoor ambient air

400-1,000ppm    Concentrations typical of occupied indoor spaces with good air exchange

1,000-2,000ppm    Complaints of drowsiness and poor air.

2,000-5,000 ppm    Headaches, sleepiness and stagnant, stale, stuffy air. Poor concentration, loss of attention, increased heart rate and slight nausea may also be present.

5,000    Workplace exposure limit (as 8-hour TWA) in most jurisdictions.

>40,000 ppm    Exposure may lead to serious oxygen deprivation resulting in permanent brain damage, coma, even death.

All the videos I've watched of people using these devices so far have been between 400 to 800 ppm. I turned on the device (TFA Dostmann CO2 Monitor - bought from Amazon) and it immediately went to 1640 ppm. It seems similar levels in all the upstairs of the house.

I decided to put my window attached air conditioner on and my fan with the door open and its now reading 1310 ppm after 30 minutes being on.

As anyone else tried these co2 devices?

I'm trying to figure out how to get more airflow in the house, or how other people have managed to reduce the levels.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Anyone use a co2 monitor for the house?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 01:18:37 AM »

Get some house plants?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 06:30:11 PM »

I wonder if that could explain how I’ve been feeling recently, interesting. The bathroom window is wide open and the doors between bedroom, where I am, and the bathroom are open, so some air should be able to get to me from the bathroom. However sometimes I dare not open any windows, because of the dreaded midge, a’ mheanbh-chuileag - mo mhallachd oirre.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 02:28:21 PM »

Get some house plants?

I need to look in to getting some.

I wonder if that could explain how I’ve been feeling recently, interesting. The bathroom window is wide open and the doors between bedroom, where I am, and the bathroom are open, so some air should be able to get to me from the bathroom. However sometimes I dare not open any windows, because of the dreaded midge, a’ mheanbh-chuileag - mo mhallachd oirre.

I think it could have something to do with it. There are quite a lot of studies been done on indoor co2. One site I looked at mentioned an experiment a school did when they found large amounts of co2 in classrooms were the windows hadnt been opened. They decided to ventilate one room and not the other for a period of time. Many of the students in the high co2 environment (around 2000ppm) had more school absenses, and it even affected their ability to do the school work.

While I've been reading up about this co2 issue, that it is rising around the world slowly, I'm kinda surprised that the climate change people didn't lead off on co2 levels. They jumped to the effects and how to improve the climate without stating clearly why they are doing it.

Indoor co2 is always going to be higher than the outdoor levels. Outdoor is about 413ppm. In a well ventilated room its usually between 600ppm to 1000ppm. But co2 levels, if they keep on the same tracking path, are expected to reach 695ppm by the year 2100. So that means unless homes have a lot better ventilation the vast majority of people are going to be experiencing mild symptoms of co2 poisoning nearly constantly.

Luckily I'll be dead by then. My main medical condition is I retain too much co2, especially when I sleep. So I have a bipap (like a cpap) machine that makes me take bigger breaths and draws the co2 out on me when I breath out. So I'm on borrowed time when it comes to co2  :(

I just hope I get full fibre before the co2 gets me  ;)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 03:13:03 PM »

I will try and remember to ask Janet to open the windows then. If we open windows on opposite sides of the house then the pressure difference gets a nice through-breeze going whenever there is the slightest breath of wind.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 02:28:23 AM »

I just hope I get full fibre before the co2 gets me  ;)

Priorities huh!  ::)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 10:48:59 AM »

I have a CO / CO2 monitor in the room which has my gas central heating boiler, I think its a good idea as it gives you an early warning of any issues with the burner on your heating.

C

anything