Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What AV do people use?  (Read 9396 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
What AV do people use?
« on: July 08, 2020, 12:49:11 PM »

I'm wondering what other people use or recommend?

I currently use Avast (and I use the free Malwarebytes program to find malware).

It is only once in a blue moon that Avast as actually stopped something.

So I'm wondering if its worth using Avast and instead just letting Windows Defender do the job?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
Re: What AV do people use?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 01:02:10 PM »

I used Nod32 from Eset and have found it to be the best balance between minimal impact and effectiveness. Of course, you don't know what you don't know, so it is difficult to judge! I get a few detections per month, mainly websites or ads on websites or dodgy scripts.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 05:05:03 PM »

I've been using Kaspersky for many years and always been happy with it. I know it gone out of favour now because of the Russia connection, but I'm still fine with it.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 05:13:39 PM »

I use Avira on my Windows 7 PC but dont use anything on my Linux PCs

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 05:49:44 PM »

I've been using Kaspersky for many years and always been happy with it. I know it gone out of favour now because of the Russia connection, but I'm still fine with it.
 :)

Likewise, I started using it when Barclays Bank provided a free subscription with their online banking and continued with the paid for version when they got cold feet with the Russia connection. I also use the paid for version of Malwarebytes.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 12:27:51 AM »

I just use Win 10’s built-in Defender/Advanced Threat Protection/Ransomware protection.  Seems to have done a good enough job for the past few years.

Likewise, I use macOS’s built-in Xprotect.

Third-Party AV seems to be a vestige from the days before OS vendors saw protecting their product as part of their responsibility.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 03:32:37 AM »

I have never ever used anything on my Windows boxes. Since Vista, I have left Windows Defender in there as it doesn’t seem to harm performance noticeably. I have gone to great lengths to harden WinNt-family o/s in the past with painstaking steps taken to establish a secure configuration. The result of these radical config changes has been that if malware is copied into the system (meaning any code at all that is not authorised by me, rather than code that is successfully recognised according to some AV’s opinion on whether the code ought to be allowed or not) and an attempt is made to start it, then it will always simply fail to run.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 02:27:54 PM »

I agree with Leo - https://askleo.com/what_security_software_do_you_recommend/
that nothing further than Defender is required running in real time - with something like Malwarebytes Free on hand to run if anything looks iffy or a second opinion required.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 08:55:54 PM »

I just use Win 10’s built-in Defender/Advanced Threat Protection/Ransomware protection.  Seems to have done a good enough job for the past few years.

Third-Party AV seems to be a vestige from the days before OS vendors saw protecting their product as part of their responsibility.

Same here, but then I spend most time in Linux where I just have the NAS scan any files on there monthly.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 11:45:55 AM »

Defender
+ MalwareBytes and Spybot S&D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 11:05:08 AM »

Windows Defender alongside its various options is all that runs on my Windows stuff.

The age of traditional antivirus being able to keep up is long gone. All about behavioural analysis as a first course now, with signatures as and when they are available which can be a month or more behind.

Malware has a few behaviour patterns that are somewhat unusual and may be noted by software looking for them.

For more on this I recommend Mastering Malware Analysis published by Packt.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 04:08:04 PM »

Been using NOD32 for 20+ years and its never let me down.

Tried Malwarebytes Premium last year but wasn't too impressed...damn thing was killing my laptop battery very quickly d/t RAM usage on my IBM Thinkpad.

Also used to be a huge fan of Outpost firewall but that software was discontinued a few years back.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 05:58:22 AM »

I use Comodo Internet Security Premium (the free version) which has served me well for years, with Spywareblaster in the background, and Malwarebytes for emergencies.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 12:11:53 AM »

I have been reducing my 3rd party security software as time goes on, for a few reasons.

1 - The security industry are starting to get silly with pricing, the products that will still be genuinely an improvement over windows defender charge silly pricing for consumers.
2 - The issues with various of these software's especially the ones that are always on hooking into programs, have over time caused me compatibility issues, like unexplained memory leaks or crashes.

I still have nod32 but it wont be on my machine once windows 10 is on there in a couple of weeks, nod32 has always been my go to for the reason already stated in this thread, its one of the few a/v that has a very low overhead and you dont really notice it.

Now days its basically my own hardening configuration, combined with utilising built in memory exploit protections, that is one of the good things about windows 10, it has been significantly hardened.  Remember EMET? that's now part of windows defender.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 04:41:00 AM »

Now days its basically my own hardening configuration, combined with utilising built in memory exploit protections, that is one of the good things about windows 10, it has been significantly hardened.  Remember EMET? that's now part of windows defender.

As I understand it, the 2004 update locked-down how drivers are able to access memory, closing a long-standing security issue that Microsoft were afraid to fix as they knew it would cause exactly the problems that update caused.  But going forward, it closes a TON of security holes in memory allocation.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything