Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line Length  (Read 1051 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Line Length
« on: July 05, 2020, 01:04:38 PM »

Wondering if the "CodeLook" referenced by post code display of "distance" shows distance from exchange or FTTC cabinet ?
From checking a few local post codes and knowing the location of their associated FTTC DSLAM cabinets I have come to the conclusion that it's distance to exchange.

Accepting that in the case of VDSL FTTC service the distance to the FTTC cabinet is the important factor the distance to the exchange information would only be of interest to ADSL service users.

Assume that the router stat's DS line attenuation is still the best (user) estimate of line length and in the case of FTTC VDSL service this displays a figure based on copper cable line run to the FTTC cabinet ?
I know there is a table available, can't remember exactly where, which gives a rough conversion of attenuation to line length.

Edit:
Found the kitz line length calculator, bit outdated now with no VDSL FTTC estimate.
https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 01:11:51 PM by tiffy »
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Line Length
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 01:56:57 PM »

Definitely shows distance to exchange.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Line Length
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 03:21:17 PM »

Thanks for the confirmation j0hn.

I think you provided a line length estimate in a very recent post, wonder where that information is available ?
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

anything