Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Broadband for visually impaired people  (Read 1762 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
Broadband for visually impaired people
« on: July 04, 2020, 01:16:51 PM »

Is it me or am I missing something in all ISP's approach to installing broadband......
My friend is visually impaired (he has very limited vision in one eye only) and he lives on his own in a flat in London. His mother asked me to look into upgrading his phone line so he can connect an "Alexa"
device.
Nobody (ISP's) seems to have any policy regarding how this can be achieved!, for the rest of us it's put the filter in - plug the router in - turn on - with any luck! you may get a signal lock straight away  :fingers:
If not connect our laptop/computer to check connection details- - have another go etc.  :fingers: then setup the wireless part!
EE with whom he has a mobile contract with is by far the cheapest (36Mb Broadband not ADSL) at £24 including anytime phone calls, has no "Managed install" :(

Has anybody got any thoughts on this conundrum .......

Robin
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Broadband for visually impaired people
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 01:26:36 PM »

i assume you mean they need a manned install?
i don't think any ISP offers this apart from Virgin (for obvious reasons).

wouldn't a friend being there at the point where the kit is delivered be a desirable outcome? afterall they will need that for the alexa setup anyway?

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 01:27:34 PM »

Ok so Virgin can install everything and get it working on the spot but at a price... £28 +add unlimited calls +install fee....... only for 12 months   :(

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 01:33:34 PM »

well you wouldn't expect a manned install to be free?

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 01:35:56 PM »

Yes a manned install.... his sister lives on the other side of London, but I was referring to the state of broadband for people with his disability in general. I found this article posted in 2013!!!
https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/news/2013/01/87-percent-of-visually-impaired-elderly-never-been-online-290113

My friend used to work on IT security for a major bank in London.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 01:37:55 PM »

I can't find any references in any ISP for paid installation, but he would be happy to pay.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 01:40:00 PM »

OpenReach still do "managed installs" (not manned installs).

It's up to the ISP if they wish to sell this service.

I believe it can be ordered through BT but it isn't free, far from it. Certainly cost more than the £28 quoted above.

Edit: the OpenReach price for an FTTC managed install is £99 exc vat and a self install is £46.84 exc vat.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0RIviN9gWGKtCdDGaQ8IFObCjmFDJOVDZEidKC%2F1wh1Z6rNZujnCs99NbIKJZPD9hXYmiijxH6wrCQm97GZMyQ%3D%3D

I believe the likes of Zen can also arrange a managed install.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 01:43:57 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 01:46:12 PM »

I can't find any references in any ISP for paid installation, but he would be happy to pay.

apart from the one i already mentioned?

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 03:18:27 PM »

Seems that for ISP's policy to be all inclusive of people with disabilities, it's a bit much they are asked to pony up £100+ for connecting to the internet.....  :( :( :(

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 04:10:31 PM »

inclusive doesn't equal free.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 12:38:06 AM »

Traditionally this sort of thing was done by the local computer bod/geek..   eg from the local PC shop.   
Going back ~15yrs, I'm sure several of us here made a bit of beer money setting up routers and LANs for people getting adsl.

ISPs provide a connection to the internet and never have had any interest in the LAN side.    I suppose there are that many different types of devices and machines that can be attached to the LAN/WLAN that it would be nigh on impossible to be knowledgeable in them all.   Its why some ISPs are even averse to customers using their own routers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 12:45:25 AM »

OpenReach still do "managed installs" (not manned installs).

iirc even the managed install is only to connect the modem/router and one single PC or laptop.  They won't attach any other devices.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 01:22:58 AM »

Is the situation all that different to buying a bookcase, or a wardrobe?   Most people will gravitate towards the likes of IKEA, but fat lot of help it’ll be to the visually impaired when they get it home and are faced with self assembly. :(

A quick web search reveals that IKEA will put you in touch with a third party ‘assembly service’, but no signs that the IKEA company are going to take any real responsibility for the underlying issue.   Just as ISPs will decline responsibilty.

Apols for picking on IKEA.  Cited just as an example.   I’d have said ‘MFI’, but that would be showing my age. ::)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 10:14:26 AM »

BT Retail now offer their Halo service which includes visits from "Home Tech Experts" to help install equipment etc. though it comes at a higher fee than their cheapest FTTC packages. Otherwise, they still offer the option of managed installs when ordering FTTC from them (I think this costs £30)

Alternatively, your friend may be able to get some assistance from one of the local Covid support groups that have popped up everywhere?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 10:18:05 AM by gt94sss2 »

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 12:23:50 PM »

Looking at the EE site for any sort of support, mostly leads to many dead ends (page not found) :(
I will try to get his sister/or nieces to go over and setup the wireless parts, which could prove to be the most problematic!
He has no computer at all in his flat.
Is the situation all that different to buying a bookcase, or a wardrobe?   Most people will gravitate towards the likes of IKEA, but fat lot of help it’ll be to the visually impaired when they get it home and are faced with self assembly. :(

A quick web search reveals that IKEA will put you in touch with a third party ‘assembly service’, but no signs that the IKEA company are going to take any real responsibility for the underlying issue.   Just as ISPs will decline responsibilty.

Apols for picking on IKEA.  Cited just as an example.   I’d have said ‘MFI’, but that would be showing my age. ::)

:-\ esp setting up an Echo dot  ???
Pages: [1] 2

anything