Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zen FTTC Line Banded / Capped ?  (Read 1269 times)

flilot

Zen FTTC Line Banded / Capped ?
« on: July 01, 2020, 05:06:58 PM »

Background:
Zen FTTC Unlimited Fibre 2 (80/20 max) connection
Line is connected to an ECI cab
WBMC not Zen backhaul
Usual sync rate of around the mid 60s (68 is about the highest I've seen, disregarding a power cut we had in the area once and my line being one of the first to reconnect and got high 70s for a while until others came back online).
SNR usually around 6 as per normal target
Line is usually very stable, regularly getting over 100 days uptime. DLM has rarely if ever intervened.

Thursday 25th June 2020, the line dropped in the early hours (around 1:00am), and returned at a round sync rate of exactly 67000, and with G.INP enabled for the very first time (so I'm assuming I'm part of the ECI G.INP trial). I noted the very round number sync rate in passing but didn't really think anything of it, being more excited about having G.INP etc.

Today my SNR jumped to above 7dB, in the past if I had this headroom above the 6dB target, I could force a resync and get a higher sync rate, however, doing this today resulted in the exact same round 67000 figure despite the SNR still being above 7dB.

Is this positive proof of being banded / capped?
Would this be something to do with being on the ECI G.INP trial, or is it a separate issue?
Should I bother Zen with it, or, just leave it, don't mess with anything (no more resyncs etc) and and let DLM sort everything out (however long that may be) ?

Current stats:
Code: [Select]
Stats recorded 01 Jul 2020 17:02:14

DSLAM type / SW version: IFTN:0xb206 (178.6) / v0xb206
Modem/router firmware:  AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode:                VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime:                  0 hour 33 min 48 sec
Resyncs:                4 (since 13 Jun 2020 21:27:12)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):  14.5 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not available on VDSL2
Connection speed (kbps): 67000 20000
SNR margin (dB):        7.4 7.9
Power (dBm):            2.6 2.6
Interleave depth:        1 1
INP:                    46.00 0
G.INP:                  Enabled Not enabled
Vectoring status:        5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)

RSCorr/RS (%):          0.0288 0.0298
RSUnCorr/RS (%):        0.0000 0.0000
ES/hour:                1.29 3.17

Carl

paulsmith109

Re: Zen FTTC Line Banded / Capped ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 06:01:38 PM »

Background:
Zen FTTC Unlimited Fibre 2 (80/20 max) connection
Line is connected to an ECI cab
WBMC not Zen backhaul
Usual sync rate of around the mid 60s (68 is about the highest I've seen, disregarding a power cut we had in the area once and my line being one of the first to reconnect and got high 70s for a while until others came back online).
SNR usually around 6 as per normal target
Line is usually very stable, regularly getting over 100 days uptime. DLM has rarely if ever intervened.

Thursday 25th June 2020, the line dropped in the early hours (around 1:00am), and returned at a round sync rate of exactly 67000, and with G.INP enabled for the very first time (so I'm assuming I'm part of the ECI G.INP trial). I noted the very round number sync rate in passing but didn't really think anything of it, being more excited about having G.INP etc.

Today my SNR jumped to above 7dB, in the past if I had this headroom above the 6dB target, I could force a resync and get a higher sync rate, however, doing this today resulted in the exact same round 67000 figure despite the SNR still being above 7dB.

Is this positive proof of being banded / capped?
Would this be something to do with being on the ECI G.INP trial, or is it a separate issue?
Should I bother Zen with it, or, just leave it, don't mess with anything (no more resyncs etc) and and let DLM sort everything out (however long that may be) ?

Current stats:
Stats recorded 01 Jul 2020 17:02:14

DSLAM type / SW version: IFTN:0xb206 (178.6) / v0xb206
Modem/router firmware:  AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode:                VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime:                  0 hour 33 min 48 sec
Resyncs:                4 (since 13 Jun 2020 21:27:12)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):  14.5 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not available on VDSL2
Connection speed (kbps): 67000 20000
SNR margin (dB):        7.4 7.9
Power (dBm):            2.6 2.6
Interleave depth:        1 1
INP:                    46.00 0
G.INP:                  Enabled Not enabled
Vectoring status:        5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)

RSCorr/RS (%):          0.0288 0.0298
RSUnCorr/RS (%):        0.0000 0.0000
ES/hour:                1.29 3.17
Definitely looks capped to me.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 06:31:38 PM »

This is exactly the same speed I get when I had G.INP turned on on my ECI cabinet 21 days ago, so looks like they may be capping speeds on ECI cabinets when activating G.INP. Can anyone else confirm this is what happened to them when G.INP was turned on?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 07:08:56 PM »

Alex's line is the same I believe.

Usually banding is only applied with excessive resyncs but not on this trial it seems.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 07:23:43 PM »

My Zen line on fastpath (no G.INP) is capped BUT, I only notice due to being able to put a negative SNRm offset thanks to OpenWRT and seeing that it always syncs at exactly 73.993 Mb when in theory it should go higher (but probably wouldn't be wise as it would push the SNRm below 3.5dB).

Exactly why its capped I do not know, but under normal operation I would never have known.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

MTW

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 07:43:18 PM »

Definitely capped.

Maybe for some people the cap was in place before G.INP, but wasn't previously noticed because when interleaved the line wasn't able to reach the cap? Not G.INP related, but my ECI line was very quickly interleaved and capped at 67Mb. Before the cap/interleaving it would sync at 71Mb on fastpath, but with interleaving it will only sync at 66/67 anyway.

Annoying if they are capping lines when introducing G.INP, as I was hoping that once I get G.INP, in time the cap will be removed!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 04:48:24 PM »

mine's capped at 60 mbps and high retx :/

not really in a position to do anything about it.  eci cab previously syncing at 66mb prior to g.inp.  68mbps after g.inp. 
DLM doesnt like that i have a single daily burst of SHINE that lasts for < 1 min and is perfectly fine for the rest of the day. 
G.INP isn't much good with SHINE anyhow and it causes a high rate of leftrs errors.....  which i'm assuming dlm monitors on retransmission lines as i didnt really have that many errsecs when it banded me.

Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 24614 Kbps, Downstream rate = 70054 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 60000 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 17a
TPS-TC:                 PTM Mode
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        8.4             9.2
Attn(dB):        0.0             0.0
Pwr(dBm):        6.8             6.8
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 10:59:22 AM »

I have two lines, one got capped and like you my suspicions were raised by the very consistent nice round number connection reported by my router (well, it was 59.9999 )

I got in touch with Zen and the requested a DLM reset and all is now good and I am back to full speed on both lines, took about 4 days from my initial request

C

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 11:11:46 AM »

If all this capping goes on with G.INP it is really annoying but perhaps they know something we don't   ;) When first implemented I got 70mbps with no issues at all, now I realise that contention etc will likely reduce that as I suspect here may be a few more users since 2016 but still don't really see why they should cap.

Stuart

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 02:33:50 PM »

I don't think its anything to do with G.INP as mine was capped before the trial and still doesn't have G.INP.

Although my case is unusual outright as why would my line be capped at a speed far greater than I was syncing at?  I would never have seen it if I hadn't forced a lower SNRm than DLM itself allows, and it was already there on the very first sync, not something DLM put there because I was being naughty with my SNRm.  ::)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 04:01:14 PM »

To my mind there is no rhyme or reason to capping as I was capped at 59999kbps for 4 years solid before G.INP came on which started after a line issue which went away after 4 OR visits and stayed 4 years!

Stuart