Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "CodeLook" Oddity  (Read 3198 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: "CodeLook" Oddity
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 03:45:58 AM »

FTTP is being installed via subtended side pods, just FYI. I know of both Nokia and Huawei pods having been installed with OLTs in them.

The side pods can, I think, handle both VDSL and FTTP boards simultaneously so perfectly possible to have any mix and match, within the 2 board limit of the chassis, of VDSL, G.fast (unlikely now) and FTTP.

I guess that explains why my PCP has a side pod making zero noise then, with the FTTP being delayed due to exchange power issues.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 11:54:42 AM »

Sounds more like your side pod is a passive one for providing more cross-connect capacity to be honest though the vents would tell the story.

Even if there were power issues in the exchange the power for a powered pod would have already been delivered as part of the work pack - it's just a cable between FTTC cabinet and PCP.

Power issues in exchange may indicate they are installing Nokia kit rather than using Huawei kit with spare service board space to do double duty. That or new Huawei kit as there's none, or at least none with capacity for service boards.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 03:41:28 PM »

It was this:

I think the whole exchange might be ECI which would perhaps explain needing so much work?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 06:41:05 PM »

I think the whole exchange might be ECI which would perhaps explain needing so much work?

It has some Huawei cabinets so must have a Huawei OLT.

Codelook says that's a VDSL Sidepod.
So if codelook is to believed it will probably contain a Huawei MA5818 DSLAM (it's actually capable of VDSL and G.Fast).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:50:37 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 07:26:32 AM »

It has some Huawei cabinets so must have a Huawei OLT.

Codelook says that's a VDSL Sidepod.
So if codelook is to believed it will probably contain a Huawei MA5818 DSLAM (it's actually capable of VDSL and G.Fast).

Strange it doesn't mention that at the cabinet level, only when looking at the full list for the exchange.

Sucks they aren't offering G.Fast from it, I would have upgraded.  Even more puzzling that every time I have checked there is no noise coming from the pod at all.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 07:34:15 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 06:28:27 PM »

. . . Even more puzzling that every time I have checked there is no noise coming from the pod at all.

Not really. More recent kit does not require active cooling (with spinning fans) and so can be utterly silent to a passer-by.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 07:35:15 PM »

Not really. More recent kit does not require active cooling (with spinning fans) and so can be utterly silent to a passer-by.

I guess I'd have to listen closer, I'd be even more stunned if it had zero coil whine at all.  ALL modern devices usually emit some noise my tinnitus ears doesn't like to ignore.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything