Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC - 2 lines to my house, same ISP, same hardware, different performance  (Read 1216 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

Hi guys,

Probably a stupid question with a simple answer :

I have two lines coming into my house and since switching my second line from PlusNet they are both now with ZEN (:yay:),  IN the past I always attributed the differences to the ISP's.  Here is a summary the two from my modems :

I don't really understand why ZEN 1 connects at 71 Mbps according to the modem and ZEN 2 reports slightly better attainable rates but seems stuck at 60 Mbps with plenty of SNR margin left - the nice round 60 Mbps number also suggests to me that this is some kind of 'cap' or limit that has been put on my line  :no:

Can any of you DSL wizards help me understand what this is telling me? 

Modems :    VMG8924-B10A
Firmwares : Johnson (v28 based)
Router :      pfSense APU2C4 thingy

Spank you very much!

C

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

How long is it since Zen 2 moved across from Plusnet?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member

@Chunkers Looks like you are right about the speed being capped, line 2 is banded at 60Mbps. You need to get onto Zen and ask for a DLM reset assuming they are able to request it from Openreach.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

How long is it since Zen 2 moved across from Plusnet?
Weirdly Zen 2 is the original ZEN line, I suspect it has been like this for a long time.

Apologies my numbering system is confusing, sorry about that!

C

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

@Chunkers Looks like you are right about the speed being capped, line 2 is banded at 60Mbps. You need to get onto Zen and ask for a DLM reset assuming they are able to request it from Openreach.

Thanks, I might pop them a quick email and see what happens

C

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

AFAIK they both use the same line profile so line performance shouldn't be any different between them on the same line, the same DLM rules apply.

The difference is what happens from the ISP onwards where I find Zen far more reliable for connecting to my VPN. (except yesterday, Zen had a complete meltdown with 20% packet loss)

However two lines to the same property can vary considerably:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:41:21 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen

The difference is what happens from the ISP onwards where I find Zen far more reliable for connecting to my VPN. (except yesterday, Zen had a complete meltdown with 20% packet loss)

Zen have had huge issues on their Manchester gateway since 23rd.
The TBB Zen section is full of reports of huge packet loss and low throughput in the evening.

Pretty poor of Zen they only acknowledged the issue today despite numerous reports from multiple users for nearly a week.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 06:05:59 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

Zen have had huge issues on their Manchester gateway since 23rd.
The TBB Zen section is full of reports of huge packet loss and low throughput in the evening.

Pretty poor of Zen they only acknowledged the issue today despite numerous reports from multiple users for nearly a week.

I haven't been routed via Manchester since being on their Talk Talk Business backhaul.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

Just to close this out, I checked my second line this morning after Zen responded saying they would request a DLM reset 2 days ago and hey presto!

Pretty much back to full speed, hurrah!

====================================================================================
    VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                    Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
            VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                G.Vector:   Disable
            Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
             Link Uptime:   1 day: 19 hours: 46 minutes
====================================================================================
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
               Line Rate:     19.362 Mbps       71.138 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate:     19.331 Mbps       71.139 Mbps
          Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
              SNR Margin:        6.0 dB            6.3 dB
            Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
          Transmit Power:        7.6 dBm          13.0 dBm
           Receive Power:       -6.0 dBm         -10.0 dBm
              Actual INP:        0.0 symbols      48.0 symbols
       Total Attenuation:        0.0 dB          19.5 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate:     19.331 Mbps       72.087 Mbps

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

It seems Zen have definitely been doing some work as now I AM routed via Manchester and my first hop latency is the lowest I've ever seen.

Never ever seen speedtest.net report single-digits before (high result as its across both WANs):

j0hn

• Kitizen

I get 6ms to speedtest.net but that's because it's my ISP's own test server in Edinburgh (Virgin).

I get 20ms to the wider internet.

Have you double checked you're actually connected to the Manchester gateway and it's not just using the Manchester server for Speedtests?

Are you closer to Manchester than London?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Are you closer to Manchester than London?

The cabinet, through which Alex's line connects, is associated with the Intake, Sheffield, exchange.

Without knowledge of the BT internals, I do not know where the head-end OLTs are located . . . but I'll hazard a guess that it is closer to Manchester than London. But then, of course, there is the question of where the BT <---> Zen interchange occurs . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything