Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Vigor 130 on sky FTTC, gradually slows and snr increases.  (Read 3725 times)

mofa2020

• Reg Member
Re: Vigor 130 on sky FTTC, gradually slows and snr increases.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 07:48:14 PM »

Don't worry about error counts at the moment as long as connection and speed are stable, the maximum that errors can do is making you lose some speed but not dropping the line to 8/9 mbps @ SNRm 23db that is extreme and either a big fault on the line or faulty/incompatible/low quality modem can do that.

Rorton

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 07:58:11 PM »

Thanks for that.

I have the stats running now so will let it do its thing and see how it goes over next few days. I was reading a few threads about vigor 130 problems, so could well be the modem.

Is there a way to monitor the HG612 by snmp as I have libreNMS monitoring the rest of my network and was monitoring the draytek.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 08:28:00 PM »

There is DSLstats a software that loves broadcom chipsets which is the HG612 using, and being HG612 unlocked it should work flawlessly for monitoring.

Here is the link of the post which include download link:

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21323.0.html

Rorton

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 08:29:45 PM »

Thanks. I have the HG612 modem stats 5.1 running at the moment, just used to snmp. If the dsl stats going to give me anything different to the HG612 mode stats 5.1?

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 08:53:39 PM »

since the modem itself wont have a WAN ip as its just bridging the connection to a router.  So the router would have to forward a port to the modem snmp lan interface and then I think it could possibly work.

Ah sorry I got what you were asking for, This is a reply from another topic I guess it should work but probably need some configuration as stated above so other Kitzens might help you in this part because I do not know.

Rorton

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 11:13:36 AM »

OK, update from today, had a resync at 4:23 this morning, stats are now as attached

Interleaved is now active, and the CRCs have all since gone now, FECs still high

Ping time increased now im no longer on fast path

Does this look more 'normal'

hopkins35

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 12:51:03 PM »

Just to add my experience with Vigor 130s, I used to use two of them in a bonded FTTC config with a Huawei cabinet , also my mum was using one with a Huawei cab. In my opinion they're utter garbage and prone to being very unstable at random intervals, I would see them synced nicely for weeks and then have 12-24 hours of constant drops which obviously played havoc with DLM.

They've all been swapped out for Zyxel VMG1312-B10As which have been sold as a rock for nearly two years now

Rorton

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 02:24:55 PM »

Thanks for that.

I’ll look out for a Zyxel, is the model you mentioned the wall mountable one. They only seem to be avail second hand now. Worth having over the Openreach HG612 I have running at then moment.

hopkins35

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2020, 02:46:09 PM »

Thanks for that.

I’ll look out for a Zyxel, is the model you mentioned the wall mountable one. They only seem to be avail second hand now. Worth having over the Openreach HG612 I have running at then moment.

Yes, they have the holes underneath for mounting, mine are mounted on the back of a wooden sideboard. They're only available second-hand but if you're patient you can pick one up for £10-£20 from a well known auction site. The VMG3925-B10B is also an option (my mum has this model) but I'm pretty sure it can't be mounted without the plastic stand which makes it bulky. If you get either model then check out the custom firmware written by Johnson from the Kitz forums here: https://github.com/johnson442/custom-zyxel-firmware

PS there's loads of different threads and info on here about these models

Rorton

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2020, 02:47:31 PM »

Thanks. Just looking at a VMG8324-B10A which seems to have a bracket to act as a desk stand, and then another bracket to clip on the back and fix to the wall.

Rorton

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2020, 06:16:42 PM »

I bought the 8924. It’s an ex John Lewis one. Brand new never used. Hopefully won’t be to difficult to get it modded n running

Rorton

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2020, 09:15:11 AM »

things looking stable so far with the old Openreach HG612 modem, I had a couple of re syncs, and now all seems stable. Need some time to set the Zyxel into bridge mode and then will try that.

The vigor when back to Draytek for service - they said they couldn't reproduce the fault, but have replaced the internals anyway and sent it back - probably worth selling that on the great auction site as its no good with my line?

hopkins35

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2020, 02:29:21 PM »

I still have my two 130s, couldn't bring myself to inflict them on anyone else  ;D

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2020, 05:12:07 PM »

Vigor 130 - still gives me shivers :no:

My line got permanently banded because of one of them - and I only used the damn thing for 3 days. Banding only got removed when I switched ISPs (after many months of waiting).

My cab is a Huawei though - looks like yours might be ECI?
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

Rorton

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2020, 08:26:28 PM »

I think that's where I was heading - odd as they are supposed to be (or so I was told) I good modem to go for - I certainly wouldn't recommend one to anyone these days. Yep, I was on an ECI Cab.

Notice the 8924 devices haven't been made for a while now, is there a new Zyxel device that replaced them?
Pages: 1 [2] 3