Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multimeter recommendations- help purchasing  (Read 2222 times)

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Multimeter recommendations- help purchasing
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 04:22:34 PM »

I have a new and unused "Detector No4, Mk10" tucked away somewhere in The Grotto.

Ahh, Detector No4, now that takes me back a long way!  :) :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »

Avos are lovely instruments, but challenging to fix, in my experience.

I bought one of mine s/h, not working quite right.  Fault was easily traced to a weak contact in one of the leaf switch assemblies, specifically a contact that is meant to “shunt” the zero ohms knob, when not reading resistance.  The factory service manual, of which I have a copy, sanctions simple retensioning of the leafs with “duck bill” pliers.   Trouble is, I need to get access first, and three years on I have yet to pluck up the courage for what looks like a marathon of desoldering and resoldering fragile old wires. :D

Another caution in the factory manual is, during disassembly, using a piece of non magnetic material to shield the movement magnets, avoiding contact with screwdrivers.  I guess the screwdriver might otherwise become slightly magnetised and, in turn the movement would become slightly demagnetised, throwing it out of calibration.  I’d not have thought of that, and wonder how many other things I might not have thought of.  :-\

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 06:56:55 PM »

my multimeter is getting a bit long in the tooth

I suggest several of the responses to this topic endorse the view that just because something is long in the tooth it should be replaced.

Lets go back to basics: how is your current meter broken and/or what is your current multimeter not doing that you need?

In view of what you've said about the impact of the pandemic on Janet's business, I find it strange that you might be changing something because it's old. Watch out in case Janet decides the same about you!  :lol:
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 07:02:56 PM »

Avos are lovely instruments, . . .

I've used a few over the last double-digit number of years but have never owned one. A quick couple of questions: What does one do when its battery/batteries requires replacement? Are they still obtainable?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 07:25:37 PM »

You mean you aren't still using your trusty Meter Multi Range 12D like me?  :) :)
Never had a 12C or 12D, but I do use my similar SA9083 (small with yellow case) on occasion - in some scenarios an analogue needle is required.  :)
I once had an original 9083 (metal, large with brown case), and I can't remember now how it met its end.

Also entered retirement with a BT MMF1A (Fluke 8022). Nice meter, but fiddly switches, so donated to daughter who's inherited the 'tinkering' gene.  :)
General workhorse these days is an old (1999-ish) Maplin White Gold WG 023.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 07:40:17 PM »

I've used a few over the last double-digit number of years but have never owned one. A quick couple of questions: What does one do when its battery/batteries requires replacement? Are they still obtainable?

The Avo 8 has two batteries. 

One is a ‘D’ cell, in modern talk, so no problem there.

The other is a B121 15V, which is less easy to find, although I see a few modern  ‘equivalents’ seem to be around. 

I’ve also heard of diy improvisation involving a stack of button cells.  The 15V battery is only needed for high resistance range, as far as I recall though, the Avo 8 works perfectly on all other ranges without the 15V battery.  So actually, not a disaster if unobtainable.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 07:52:52 PM »

The 15v cells are still available from RS. However all functions ( as said) except for the highest ohm measurement work without that battery.

There is something about the device Thant makes it feel like a “ proper instrument “. I remember when I bought it, I thought it was VERY expensive!
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2020, 07:55:52 PM »

Worth adding my oscilloscope is about 25 years old and it perfect ( and accurate) in every way. I wonder how many of the “ younger generation “ even know how to measure voltage on such a device  :P
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2020, 08:11:20 PM »

The 15v cells are still available from RS. However all functions ( as said) except for the highest ohm measurement work without that battery.

There is something about the device Thant makes it feel like a “ proper instrument “. I remember when I bought it, I thought it was VERY expensive!

Darn, I had a delivery from RS only this morning.  If only I’d known. :D

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2020, 08:47:10 PM »

Never had a 12C or 12D, but I do use my similar SA9083 (small with yellow case) on occasion - in some scenarios an analogue needle is required.  :)
I once had an original 9083 (metal, large with brown case), and I can't remember now how it met its end.

Also entered retirement with a BT MMF1A (Fluke 8022). Nice meter, but fiddly switches, so donated to daughter who's inherited the 'tinkering' gene.  :)
General workhorse these days is an old (1999-ish) Maplin White Gold WG 023.
Yes, I had one of the original large 9083's and likewise don't know what happened to it. :( :(
Pages: 1 [2]