Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: router recommendations  (Read 1171 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
router recommendations
« on: June 25, 2020, 03:48:18 PM »

i've had a Unifi Dream Machine since January and finally had enough of it. Nightmare Machine more like.

too many of the advertised features are non-existant or broken. features that are present in product lower down the scale are missing, and you constantly have to be a "beta tester" to get basic function working that get broken in pushed out updates.
thus UI can go take a flying f.

so i'm now looking at replacement routers (for virgin cable).
been looking at the AsusWRT devices specifically comparing the following

RT-AC86U
RT-AC87U
RT-AC88U

which all seem similar with the exception of WIFI performance.

the features i do need are
-ability to create VLANs
-the ability to create a "guest" wifi that has total device isolation and restricted bandwidth
-ability to run a VPN server allowing me to remotely connect to my network (L2TP preferred)
-ability to allow the router to be a VPN client to connect to services like NordVPN/Surfshark etc (usually OpenVPN client)
-some sort of threat management (IDS or IPS)
-deep packet inspection if possible
-ability to update DynDNS services

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: router recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 10:48:41 PM »

Have you looked at the Pepwave Surf SOHO? I think it can do most of what you want - maybe it can meet all your criteria, but since I don't use a VPN I can't be sure that it does. I've had mine for some years and am very satisfied with it.
It's a professional-grade router rather than a modem/router, so may not do all you want. I think it's around £200.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 11:28:47 PM »

been looking at the AsusWRT devices specifically comparing the following

RT-AC86U
RT-AC87U
RT-AC88U

which all seem similar with the exception of WIFI performance.

the features i do need are
-ability to create VLANs
-the ability to create a "guest" wifi that has total device isolation and restricted bandwidth
-ability to run a VPN server allowing me to remotely connect to my network (L2TP preferred)
-ability to allow the router to be a VPN client to connect to services like NordVPN/Surfshark etc (usually OpenVPN client)
-some sort of threat management (IDS or IPS)
-deep packet inspection if possible
-ability to update DynDNS services

The RT-AC86U is the best of the three and the difference is not just about WiFi performance...

Does it support all those features? I'd suggest you ask here: https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 12:08:49 AM »

The Firebricks are professional-grade routers, but very user-friendly. They are not modem-routers and don’t have built-in wireless you need WAP(s) and are expensive so they don’t fit your requirements in the slightest but I do absolutely love mine. It’s worth taking a look at the manual on the website at https://www.firebrick.co.uk/support/manuals/ just in case you are seduced. I do think that getting separate modem, switch, router, WAP(s) allows you to get the best in each area without compromise.

The Firebricks have VPN functionality but looking at your list, one big showstopper for you possibly is the fact that the Firebrick does not do deep packet inspection at L5 and above, it can’t for example inspect email and kill attachments for example. But then that never bothered me as I have had mail servers that can do that. Apologies in advance for potential time-wasting. Warning: also Burakkucat is no fan of the FB documentation  ;)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 07:50:34 AM »

personally i would never consider a firebrick.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 07:55:31 AM »

The RT-AC86U is the best of the three and the difference is not just about WiFi performance...

in what departments is it better than the others other than just WIFI?
this is the comparison page for the 3 - https://www.asus.com/uk/Product-Compare/?products=FuSr2UwZNsqc7PRa,e5rP2N02bDRfXJUO,eS2N4HnylxXIJYBB&b=0

the 88U has 8 ethernet ports compared to 4 on the other 2, and that's certainly a big plus mark.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 08:32:41 AM »

I don't know much about Virgin Cable (although slightly jealous of speeeeeed ;D), presumably you are using the Hub in modem mode.

One thing I have never regretted is moving from single box solution to separate modem, router and WAP (s). Based on your list of needs it sounds like you need a higher end / more powerful device - have you considered something pfSense based with a separate WAP?

Personally I am using Ubiquiti WAP(s) and think they are great but I am guessing after your bad experience with your current device you might not be so keen, lots of other choices though.  I think its healthy to keep devices separate in case you want to upgrade / change in the future

The nice thing about pfSense is you can even give it a try on an old PC very cheaply, this is what I did. I bought a 4 port Intel NIC on ebay for £20 stuck it in an old PC and have never looked back, I now have a PC Egnines APU2C4.

You can also get pre-configured devices, Amazon is littered with them, some look very powerful, others on here can recommend better than me.

As far as single boxes go, I like Fritz!box (but I don't think they support your kind of VPN) and Draytek (decent quality)

C

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 08:37:02 AM »

i've had fritxbox devices before - mostly crap IMO
i have had separate devices before, i'm at the stage of life now where i don't want to tinker or spend any time having to "maintain" it.
pfsense not something i want to get in to.

Asus seem to be the brand to go for these days, or DD-WRT compatible devices.

anything