Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zen and Fritzbox 7530  (Read 2024 times)

Sonac

Zen and Fritzbox 7530
« on: June 24, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »

Hi there,

Tomorrow my new zen broadband gets activated. Currently I have BT which feeds into a Zyxel vmg1312-b30a b10a and then into a Ubiquity edgerouter.
I have heard the Lantiq modem inside the Fritzbox is a little quicker than the (I believe) broadcom chip inside the Zyxel, especially connected to a Huawei DSLAM.
I have configured the Fritzbox for Modem duty (very easy) however I just realized that I would lose linestats.

Is there any modified firmware available for Fritz to enable detailed stats or should I just bite the bullet and take my better performance of the Lantiq and forget about stats?

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 12:08:31 PM by Sonac »
ISP:
BT Unlimited Superfast Fibre 2 - 78/18 [50/15 actual]
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 - 64/15 [50/15 actual]
DSLAM: Huawei 288
Modem: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A HG612 (BT NTE5C + MK4 Plate)
Router: Ubiquity Edgerouter X

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: Zen and Fritzbox 7530
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 11:55:52 AM »

I would keep everything the same apart from updating username and password. 

Good chance you will end up with a DLM reset with changing ISPs so have slower sync speeds anyway due to interleaving being applied. 

Wait until this has been removed and if you are lucky enough to have Ginp/3db wait for that to be applied also.  A few days after that then try a different modem. 

From my experience the best modem is more which your particular line prefers rather than chipset.

I would keep the B10A personally with its stats and line filtering.  The Fritz would have to be significantly better for me to consider leaving a different modem connected to my line.

Edit: just noticed you have a b30a not sure if that has line filter but still stand by what I suggest

Sonac

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 12:00:52 PM »

My bad, Its actually a VMG1312-B10A.
I had it mixed up!

Ill leave that in place then and keep the fritzbox as spare.
I do get 3dB on BT. So with any luck will get the same on Zen.
My line is actually perfectly stable even lower. When there is a power outage I sync back at like 0.5dB or even lower sometimes and get way faster speeds. And its rock solid stable for about 24 hrs until the DSLAM decides I shouldn't be going that fast and resyncs me.

Hoping for a small sped bump on Zen  :fingers:

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 12:09:14 PM by Sonac »
ISP:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 01:15:09 PM »

I have heard the Lantiq modem inside the Fritzbox is a little quicker than the (I believe) broadcom chip inside the Zyxel, especially connected to a Huawei DSLAM

That wasn't my experience.

There just isn't ANY modem that is ALWAYS faster than another for every line, or any particular DSLAM.

Everyone's line is different and every modem performs different on every line.

I found the Zyxel you have to be the best syncing modem on my line, especially as time passed and crosstalk grew.

Try them both and see what your particular line prefers.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 02:15:10 PM »

Just been through a very similar process, I have 2 lines - until 2 weeks ago I had a Zen and a PlusNet line. I recently switched line 2 to Zen, so I now have 2 Fritz!Box 7530's and 2 Zen lines!

It was interesting to make comparisons of how the lines perform using the Fritz!box and my current Zyxel VMG 8924-B10 in use as modems.

In my case the connection speeds were almost identical, I found the weird "Connected network devices are also allowed to establish their own internet connections (not recommended)" mode a bit weird and would have much preferred a 'proper' bridge mode although I am not entirely clear what the difference is, tbh. Anyway I would count this as a point against the Fritz!Box, personally.

In spite of the fact that I think the Fritz!Box is a better router if used as intended, in the end as I only want a modem I decided to stick with the Zyxels which have performed so well for the last 3 years I can't think of a reason to change them out.

C

Sonac

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 03:08:08 PM »

Okay I will stick with the Zyxel then. Its been working pretty solid for ages and its very fast. The switch over is meant to happen on the 25th (tomorrow). Not sure at what time, I'm hoping midnight as it will cause the least disruption in my household.

Thanks for the input all.
ISP:

paulsmith109

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 06:34:08 PM »

That wasn't my experience.

There just isn't ANY modem that is ALWAYS faster than another for every line, or any particular DSLAM.

Everyone's line is different and every modem performs different on every line.

I found the Zyxel you have to be the best syncing modem on my line, especially as time passed and crosstalk grew.

Try them both and see what your particular line prefers.
FWIW, I`m with Zen VDSL 80/20 and the Fritzbox 7530 synched higher on my line (Huawei cabinet) than all my Zyxel Broadcom routers by about 800 kbps.
However, YMMV.

Sonac

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 09:46:00 AM »

FWIW, I`m with Zen VDSL 80/20 and the Fritzbox 7530 synched higher on my line (Huawei cabinet) than all my Zyxel Broadcom routers by about 800 kbps.
However, YMMV.

Ill keep it in mine as thats in line with what I have seen elsewhere. Ill let my line settle and then give it a whirl in a week or so.
Changeover happened a few hours ago so i'm stuck with interleave for a while now :/
ISP:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 05:15:36 PM »

Ill keep it in mine as thats in line with what I have seen elsewhere. Ill let my line settle and then give it a whirl in a week or so.
Changeover happened a few hours ago so i'm stuck with interleave for a while now :/

If it was a few Megabits I'd say its worth it, but 800Kbit I doubt you'd notice the difference.  In some cases I think its just how different modems report the speed in a different manner, throughput is often the same.  Still, it can't hurt to try.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything