Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A as backup  (Read 1103 times)

KPG

• Just arrived
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A as backup
« on: June 19, 2020, 01:17:29 PM »

Hello.

Having experienced a few issues with my existing modem-router I've been casting around for a backup device (or even a replacement if the issues persist or get worse). Would prefer an all-in-one for the usual reasons - limited desk space and spare sockets - plus I am not technically savvy so the fewer boxes to wrangle, the better.

Since ZyXel has been recommended to me by my ISP as well as in these forums, I have alighted on the ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A - in part because I've found it at good prices on eBay.

I know there are existing threads and I have read users' comments on this model, but would it still be the case that this is a solid purchase for FTTC modem-router purposes? More to the point, is it considered user-friendly if you are not especially comfortable with going under the hood?

Many thanks.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A as backup
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 11:39:33 AM »

I've always been very happy with my VMG8924-B10A. I have tried a lot of other modem/routers over the years and the Zyxel is always the one that ends up back on my line. The main reason for this is that I've struggled to find anything else that performs as well on the modem side. This is a very personal thing as all lines differ in which modem they like best, but you certainly should get decent results on pretty much any line.
On the router side of things I like the interface, and although it isn't the most user friendly around it's certainly not bad (plenty of help available on here too!).
The wireless side is quite adequate - not the best,but certainly a long way from the worst. Again how well it works for you will depend on the size and build of your house as well as the router's location.
As you say, they are freely available for sensible prices so I'd say go for it.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

KPG

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 02:44:26 PM »

Thanks. Been going round in circles looking for a suitable device. I've never been one to switch between routers - if one works, I stick with it - but at these prices it can't hurt to take a punt.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 06:13:44 PM »

I  have been using two VMG8924 routers as modems for 3 years and they have been rock solid, really good.  I was tempted to swap to using a Lantiq based pair of Fritz!box 7530 routers instead (I happen to have 2) but they don't perform better or faster on my line so I have stuck with the Zyxel ones.

The other thing I like is the fact that Zyxel have supported firmware updates for quite a long time, unlike other manufacturers (TP-Link I am looking at you!)

C

anything