Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 2B -- inaccessible via network  (Read 727 times)

amoe

• Just arrived
HG612 2B -- inaccessible via network
« on: June 24, 2020, 09:04:25 AM »

Hi all, I am new to this forum, and I haven't used the HG612 before, also I don't know a lot about it.

I bought a refurbished HG612 from eBay.  I hoped to use it as a modem with Plusnet fibre and an existing TP-Link router that I have.  I have the Plusnet "Hub One" which works OK, but I wanted to use my existing router, which has some special configurations.  This HG612 is a model 2B, which seems a bad choice, but I didn't research enough before buying -- my bad.

Anyway, when I turn the HG612 on, I connect it to the DSL line and I connect my PC to the HG612 using the LAN1 port, but just -- nothing happens.  The PC does not receive an IP address from the HG612.  If I set a manual IP address, it doesn't help.  From the manual it seems that the device should have a web GUI accessible on 192.168.1.1, but no result, even if I assign my PC the IP 192.168.1.100 -- just no service or response from 192.168.1.1.  No internet either, although the DSL LED is lit solid green.  LAN1 LED is also solid green.

I have tried to reset the device using the reset button several times, but it doesn't change that behaviour.

Is this just a broken unit?  Or is there some magic I have to do?

PS: I know that you can use custom firmwares with this device, but I just want to use it as a dumb modem.  Although, if it's required to install a custom firmware for it to work at all, then I'll happily do so.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: HG612 2B -- inaccessible via network
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 09:38:59 AM »

It won't work like that - it will be set up in bridge mode by default. Have you tried connecting the LAN port on the TP-Link router to the LAN1 on the HG612 and configuring the PPP authentication on the router?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 01:36:46 PM »

By default the HG612 does nothing but sync.

No DHCP (so no IP's given to devices on the LAN), no reachable web interface, just nothing.

Simply connect it to your line, plug in your router, configure the router and away you go.

Alternatively you can unlock the device to make the web interface work to view stats, but essentially the rest is the same.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

amoe

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 03:22:36 PM »

OK, now it's working fine!  Simple, in fact more simple than I believed.

Thanks for the help, guys.   :)

anything