Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sky FTTP Ordered  (Read 12582 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Sky FTTP Ordered
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »

no i wasn't sure either, as i couldnt see anything concrete in the documentation..   
although from memory sinet does appear to define fttp gea, g.fast gea, fttc gea & ethernet gea cablelinks separately.

the first time i became aware that they were separate entities was when it was given as the reason for delay for g.fast installation.

it wont be an issue for WBC & WBMC isps as BTw will purchase the relevant cablelinks.

that snippet of info you found, tends to imply that some L2S's are dedicated to fttp and some may support both fttp and fttc?     

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 10:32:12 AM »

Excuse my ignorance but I'm guessing this is a product that is only available in FTTP enabled properties?
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 02:39:31 PM »

Excuse my ignorance but I'm guessing this is a product that is only available in FTTP enabled properties?

Yes.

Sky still insisting it's not available to me. I've tried them 4 times and even had a call back from FTTP trained sales staff.
Computer says no.

I was quite keen to try Sky but I'm not waiting around.

I've just ordered full fibre 100 (160/30) from BT for £29.99.

Roll on August 6th.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 12:21:09 AM »

Shame that they couldn't help, but good luck for the 6th :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 09:51:12 AM »

Back from forum break - recommend everyone take one from time to time.

Sky order was cancelled after it became clear they were trying to migrate my, 22 months remaining on contract, BT service rather than provision a new one despite assurances that wasn't the case.

Ordered a service from Zen instead, which was installed and is working fine.

The issues people are having with Sky are due to Cablelinks. They have them to everything that has cabinets on it already pretty much but there are FTTP-only switches they have not purchased Cablelinks to - their coverage is not 100%.

So cases where for example all the cabinets are served by ECI and Huawei/Nokia/Ericsson has been installed for FTTP you may well find Sky haven't a Cablelink there yet.

Cablelinks can and do carry all traffic, the exception being ECI due to limitations of the equipment.

luggles

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 10:09:27 AM »

Back from forum break - recommend everyone take one from time to time.

Sky order was cancelled after it became clear they were trying to migrate my, 22 months remaining on contract, BT service rather than provision a new one despite assurances that wasn't the case.

Ordered a service from Zen instead, which was installed and is working fine.

The issues people are having with Sky are due to Cablelinks. They have them to everything that has cabinets on it already pretty much but there are FTTP-only switches they have not purchased Cablelinks to - their coverage is not 100%.

So cases where for example all the cabinets are served by ECI and Huawei/Nokia/Ericsson has been installed for FTTP you may well find Sky haven't a Cablelink there yet.

Cablelinks can and do carry all traffic, the exception being ECI due to limitations of the equipment.

Would you still order from BT again if they were the only option, or were the reasons for getting a second service that bad?

Don't think I can stretch to Zens £70 so looking to return to BT.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2020, 11:50:25 AM »

I have uncovered a quite major issue on the BT Wholesale network and it's unclear whether this is exclusive to BT Consumer and the product they use or impacts all WBC/WMBC customers under these circumstances.

With that in mind I can't comment.

Neither can I actually tell anyone much about the issue as, even though Nokia have found it, they/BT Wholesale refuse to tell BT Consumer who in turn have nothing to tell me.

Apart from that BT have been fine. A second line is for protection against issues with the first one as much as possible. While the protection is limited if the issue ends up being exclusive to the product BT Consumer use that justifies it.

luggles

• Just arrived
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 02:37:06 PM »

I have uncovered a quite major issue on the BT Wholesale network and it's unclear whether this is exclusive to BT Consumer and the product they use or impacts all WBC/WMBC customers under these circumstances.

With that in mind I can't comment.

Neither can I actually tell anyone much about the issue as, even though Nokia have found it, they/BT Wholesale refuse to tell BT Consumer who in turn have nothing to tell me.

Apart from that BT have been fine. A second line is for protection against issues with the first one as much as possible. While the protection is limited if the issue ends up being exclusive to the product BT Consumer use that justifies it.

Thanks for the reply, gotta love companies refusing to talk to one another ::) 

I take it then if Zen doesn't have a presence in my exchange, I'm probably going to be on BT wholesale network anyway. So I'd be effected either way by this issue, if it's not exclusive to BT consumer.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2020, 03:58:00 PM »

I'm also unclear about how many exchanges are impacted. You'd have thought a lot of reports would've been received but I was apparently the first person to comment, so perhaps some particular combination of software and hardware within the SR in the exchange.

AngelRex

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2020, 02:23:05 PM »

I'm entrigued, as I've just switched to BT from Zen, I'm now wondering if this was a mistake.....

Or is this in relation to the 'Backdoor Access Found in CDATA’s Chinese FTTH Broadband Kit'?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/07/backdoor-access-found-in-cdatas-chinese-ftth-broadband-kit.html

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2020, 04:35:49 PM »

Off the top of our heads we don’t know of any UK broadband ISPs that are using CDATA’s OLTs in their networks
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2020, 09:40:35 AM »

So, while it isn't Sky my services are both up and running well.

Example 1 and Example 2

[Moderator edited to convert excessively large images to direct links.]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:52:03 PM by burakkucat »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2020, 09:58:56 AM »

So, while it isn't Sky my services are both up and running well.

So you basically can max out the whole PON now?  ::)

I hate you so much, especially after you said "its not transformative" in an earlier post.  :'(

I can't even get Stadia to work reliably on either of my connections and I have no idea why.

[Moderator edited to remove the unnecessary showing of the images from the previous post.]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:48:59 PM by burakkucat »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2020, 11:51:42 AM »

So you basically can max out the whole PON now?  ::)

Yup. All your bandwidths are belong to me.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2020, 04:45:44 PM »

Yup. All your bandwidths are belong to me.

So, XGPON when?  :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything