Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sky FTTP Ordered  (Read 12581 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Sky FTTP Ordered
« on: June 20, 2020, 01:15:18 PM »

Just to let folks know after a long set of phone calls I have been able to sign up to Sky FTTP.

It is not easy but it's not quite impossible. Don't think they want to be selling at scale yet.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Sky FTTP Ordered
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 02:05:48 PM »

I've tried a couple times but they insist FTTP isn't available at my property.

I'm guessing they are keeping this to specific trial areas.

Out of interest what number did you call?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

busterboy

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 03:15:34 PM »

Just to let folks know after a long set of phone calls I have been able to sign up to Sky FTTP.

It is not easy but it's not quite impossible. Don't think they want to be selling at scale yet.

Is it a secret or may I ask what speed have you ordered with them.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 04:11:48 PM »

They only offer superfast and ultrafast - 80 and 160.

They might be missing some cablelinks to new OLTs. They already had one to mine as it also handles cabinets.

Just called the number the website provided when I tried to order Sky Broadband there.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »

I've tried a couple times but they insist FTTP isn't available at my property.

I'm guessing they are keeping this to specific trial areas.

Out of interest what number did you call?

Okay more complete response as I'm at a computer not a mobile device for a change.

There are no trial areas - they'll sell it wherever they've a Cablelink to the OLT serving the property. If you're on a new Nokia build or perhaps, far less likely though I suppose not impossible, an area where the OLT is a Huawei with no cabinets on it so no previous Cablelink that might explain it.

I called two different numbers.

0333 759 4255 and 0330 041 3000.

After failed attempts to order via both of those I was promised and received a callback from 0800 761 3362. This also failed and the agent escalated as he queried whether it was an issue on his side as some agents are unable to complete the order journey. At this time I was also in contact with a member of Sky's engineering management who confirmed 100% that there was a 10G Cablelink to the OLT serving me. No surprise as it had a bunch of BDUK cabinets hanging off it.

I received a call from another member of staff at Sky who repeated the process and it worked.

It's very much in pilot phase and they clearly would prefer to not take on too many customers as they're still mid-way through getting it ready but it does exist.

I was very, very impressed that they called me back when they said they would, twice. Certain other companies I could name getting a callback from them when they promise one is about as likely as being struck by lightning while hiding in a basement.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 12:29:17 PM »

havent you not long ago signed up to bt fttp?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »

4 port ONT. Some protection from issues on the BT Wholesale network.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 12:47:06 PM »

ok, well good luck

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 12:50:13 PM »

I've dropped you a PM. Can explain some more there.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 02:17:16 PM »

A couple dozen Huawei cabinets on the exchange.

Not a clue if there's a Nokia OLT in the exchange but I very much doubt it.

There's zero BDUK FTTP on my exchange that I can see it all appears to be new build and retro new build.

I'll give them a call back on Monday.

I'd be very very surprised if they didn't have a 10G cablelink
to the OLT.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:19:29 PM by j0hn »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 04:07:09 PM »

4 port ONT. Some protection from issues on the BT Wholesale network.

b*cat smiles, enigmatically.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 06:04:51 PM »

Hah!

To be honest the good people here seem more interested in >20 year old xDSL and I appear to have inadvertently annoyed a couple of people so I'll save the write up for now.

I just thought it merited mentioning that Sky FTTP is indeed a thing.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 11:47:35 PM »

I envy you for your FTTP connections, but I still like to hear as much detail as possible about what other people are doing.

You have a lot of background in technicalities of networking and ISPs in general that most people do not.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 11:36:49 AM »

>> I appear to have inadvertently annoyed a couple of people so I'll save the write up for now.

I don't see signs of that,  i certainly enjoy reading..   and I assumed you were using them to give some sort of resiliancy/backup. :)

>> they'll sell it wherever they've a Cablelink to the OLT serving the property.

Will they not need a separate cablelink for the FTTP products.   The reason I ask - the supposed delay with my daughter getting g.fast was that although Zen had a presence in their exchange and thus a GEA cablelink for FTTC.. the wait was the requirement of another cablelink for the g.fast service.

In the end Zen opted to use BTw WBC for g.fast rather than install their own separate cablelinks at each exchange.  With hindsight this was probably a good move as g.fast take-up has been rather poor.  FTTP has far more promise.   Sky has a much larger userbase and although their average user will likely be far less tech than Zens,  I dont envisage sky wanting to use WBC/WBMC for any cablelinks.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 01:48:34 PM »

No idea if they can mix and match cablelinks.

It was suggested elsewhere that Sky had been buying up 10G cablelinks link crazy as they were discounted so they should be on the front foot with the FTTP deployment.

OpenReach has a special offer on for 10G cablelinks making them the same price as a 1G cablelink.

There's a caveat to that offer though.

This offer will apply to all GEA FTTP only Layer 2 Switches UK wide and the discount will be limited to one 10 Gigabit GEA cablelink per GEA FTTP only Layer 2 Switch per Communications Provider. The offer is not available where a L2S is also supporting GEA-FTTC services.
Pages: [1] 2 3