Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Scam Alerts  (Read 4861 times)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
Scam Alerts
« on: July 18, 2008, 09:24:46 AM »

Just a passing thought (i don't have many) could we perhaps have a scam alert in the security section.

Like me I suppose every one visits a variety of other forums and these things crop up from time to time, I think I'm savvy enough to spot these, but occasionally one pops up thats new.

As an example on another forum a member had £5 donated to Oxfam on his credit card, I knew this was a precursor to using the card illegally, apparently he did not and more worryingly his bank did not seem to be on the ball with this one.

Also does no harm to be reminded of whats doing the 'rounds'.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Scam Alerts
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 09:33:39 AM »

It might be worth thinking about a scam alert section under security. In the meantime anyone who come across a scam can post a message about it in the security section.
Quite a reasonable passing thought. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:08:43 AM »

If I hear of a scam that seems to be doing the rounds I tend to start a new thread in the security section.

I could start a new "child board" - (like what there is for Vista tips), but I'm not sure if they'd be as obvious in there  (Im still wondering about moving the Vista tips back into the main Vista section).
The other thing is I could start a scam thread which could be stickied... but this could grow too long and its doubtful if newbies would read all the way through to the end.

I'm happy to go along with whatever you guys think is best, but imho I think the clearest way to point out a new scam would be to start a new topic in the security thread and head it something like "Scam Alert - abc Bank" for example.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 03:35:46 PM »

I think just having a new thread for any time a scam is discovered is probably the best idea.
Everyone (?) looks at all posts and threads that are marked 'New' so that should cover all early warnings of scams.

By the way, thanks to all who are alert enough to warn the rest of us.

dave 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »

Good idea,I,m all for what 'the management decide'  :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 07:03:35 PM »

I think just having a new thread for any time a scam is discovered is probably the best idea.

But it would also help if the title contains a indication of the scam.

anything