Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Facebook new design  (Read 5972 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Facebook new design
« on: June 18, 2020, 07:46:41 AM »

Anyone here also been forced on to Facebook's new design? I was last night, and it's really annoying me especially as FBP (a really useful addon) no longer works so I am unable to turn off all the annoying parts I don't use. Never understood why they have to change what works. Apparently changing the browser to pretend to be Safari V10 gets back the old home because the new stuff does not work properly.

Stuart
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 11:01:03 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Facebook new design
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 07:39:32 PM »

Not sure I'd say Facebook works.  I'm absolutely sick of how often the Reply button fails to tag the person I am replying to and See More fails to actually LOAD at all.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:37:55 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 08:25:05 PM »

I think my wife is having issues with the new facebook, it shows adverts she cannot bypass without viewing.

Stuart

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 10:14:56 PM »

I completely gave up on Facebook some years back and I’m not sure if my account is still valid; they may have some timeout on long-inactive accounts.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 11:21:48 PM »

I completely gave up on Facebook some years back and I’m not sure if my account is still valid; they may have some timeout on long-inactive accounts.

You inspired me to try an experiment, as I have an ancient FB account.  It’s totally locked down, I am invisible, and I haven’t logged in for years.     So I thought, can I log in?   No - as I could not remember my password.   So I asked for a password reset, and it sent me a reset code.

And whilst the reset code arrived promptly and appears to work, the next step of choosing a new password does not.   It appears to be some incompatibility between the FB script, and Safari/iClouds password manager, but my iPad’s attempt to generate a new password results in a blank password in the form, which FB reject.

This glitch might be FB’s fault, or it might be Apple’s fault.  What surprises me is that FB have allowed it to happen, regardless of fault.   I’d have thought that maintaining basic compatibility with Android and iOS devices would be pretty much highest imaginable priority.  Did FB not even bother testing it?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 11:49:35 PM »

I’ve noticed this feature in iOS Safari- where it offers to set a password ‘on the website’ for you. How does that magic work? Is there something standard in newer versions of http / https about password management in a machine to machine way? Or is there either some ‘well known’ URL standard For password resetting, or perhaps something involving machine-readable declarations hidden within web pages ?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 12:06:59 AM »

I’ve no idea how it works.  I never used it until recently, preferring to invent and remember passwords in my head.  I don’t really like password managers, for various reasons.

But as a concession to lockdown, with a motivation to register lots and lots of new accounts with lots of new websites, from supermarkets to GP surgeries to breweries , I gave in and started using this one.   It generates a long complex random password, which is saved (encrypted) in iCloud keychain and available for use with all Apple devices that are signed in to same iCloud account.

I have encountered one or two amateurish websites that are incompatible as they set daft ‘password rules’ that, for example, prohibit some of Apple’s random characters.    But FB is the only one that seems to be just plain broken.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 12:41:21 AM »

I'd be willing to guess that there is no standard and thus why it can break, as its having to completely guess which fields are passwords.

Firefox only recently implemented theirs and I started trying it out, compatibility seems all over the place.  Some websites actively try to block the browser detecting a password field so you can't even save your login, let alone generate a random one.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 01:14:28 AM »

Alex, you may be right.

But I might have thought that FB, given their dominance, might have sought to check that their website remained compatible with Apple’s guesswork, given their dominance too. :)

Few things annoyed me more, when I worked for a living, than when fellow developers dug in their heels, refusing to address a problem,  blaming another vendor for incompatibilities between our product and theirs.   Or maybe even blaming standards bodies for publishing ambiguous protocols.   

From the point of view of shared customers, they generally didn’t care who's fault it was.     Customers just wanted one of us to tweak our product to be accomodating of the other so that compatibility was achieved,  and were extremely grateful to whoever made the tweak.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 12:13:46 PM »

I got the new version a few weeks ago.   Its supposed to be simpler, but i cant find anything - such as groups.  A lot of the add-ons such as SFX no longer work properly because the layout is so different.   :(

I was able to switch back to the old design.  From the down arrow [next to the ? for quick help] on the top right,  there's an option "Switch to old version".
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 03:25:35 PM »

still on the old layout, I only really registered because all of the covid19 support groups are there.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 05:33:12 PM »

I was able to switch back to the old design.  From the down arrow [next to the ? for quick help] on the top right,  there's an option "Switch to old version".

That's not there on mine.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 09:08:21 PM »

Fluff Busting Purity the Facebook clean up add-on has been updated today and now works (mostly OK) with the new design and allows a method to switch back if Facebook does not give it to the user.

Stuart

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 04:58:18 PM »

I'm not a fan of the new layout design. It seems to be mobile-like in its simplicity.

It seems dumbed down. I'm a member of some groups and notifications only appear on that drop down menu with every other notification.

Before you could see some of the groups on the left side with a number next to it signifying that there had been a new post.

Very poor.

I wonder how many people access facebook from a computer vs a mobile device these days.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 05:17:16 PM »

I use a browser even on my phone and tablet because I don't like Facebook deciding which posts are most important I always look at them in chronological order newest first. I agree about the numbers missing on the groups. I use FBP because it lets me manage how the page looks and what kind of posts to show me, and it expands my groups when I log in, but that is less useful now the numbers are missing.

Stuart
Pages: [1] 2