Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zen - low single thread download speeds  (Read 1181 times)

Jon21

• Reg Member
Zen - low single thread download speeds
« on: June 17, 2020, 08:47:31 PM »

I've noticed that there has been complaints about this in the past with Zen. I've just run a couple of speedtests, mainly due to having just added Cake QoS to my router and I wanted to see if it kept the loaded and unloaded latency low, which it does.

IPv4

IPv6

Would it be worth asking Zen about? Tbh, if I hadn't of done the speedtests, I probably wouldn't of even noticed.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Zen - low single thread download speeds
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 04:23:06 AM »

I'd test this over a long period of time before worrying as I suspect that sometimes the link between your ISP and TBB can get contended.

I say your ISP, as I've seem TBB perform well and poorly over various ISPs over the years.

I've not extensively tested on Zen for single-thread performance, but I know it seems to be fine on my connection from observing real-world single thread downloads.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 01:01:18 PM »

I think it was just a blip. Done a few speed tests over a couple of evenings, seems to be back to normal.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 10:59:58 PM »

I did suspect it was having problems in the end, kinda hard to test as I load balance between Plusnet and Zen.
However, as my Zen connection is faster and I never seemed to bit hitting the peak speed I usually got, was a fair assumption.

It was bad timing as my sync speed had been fluctuation after the last storm too so I wasn't sure if my ip profile was messed up.  All does seem back to normal now though.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors